The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Accommodation

Hey guys!

I'm from Brazil and I will start my course in September. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you for a piece of advice.

I don't have much money and I will have to work to pay for my staying, so I was wondering if the uni accommodations (single room) are worth it or if it's better to rent a room in a house around there.

I really like the idea of living at the uni, around other students, but I don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom with so many people whatsoever (once I wouldn't be able to afford an en suite room), also I'm not quite sure about how the shared kitchen works exactly.... the fridge and everything... If it's practicable to always cook for yourself and keep stuff there or not. But if it's worth it moneywise it would be ok....

Is there anybody living there that could help me out?

Thanks! :wink:
Reply 1
Original post by Cora Prazeres
Hey guys!

I'm from Brazil and I will start my course in September. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you for a piece of advice.

I don't have much money and I will have to work to pay for my staying, so I was wondering if the uni accommodations (single room) are worth it or if it's better to rent a room in a house around there.

I really like the idea of living at the uni, around other students, but I don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom with so many people whatsoever (once I wouldn't be able to afford an en suite room), also I'm not quite sure about how the shared kitchen works exactly.... the fridge and everything... If it's practicable to always cook for yourself and keep stuff there or not. But if it's worth it moneywise it would be ok....

Is there anybody living there that could help me out?

Thanks! :wink:

First of all, there isn't much of a price difference between on campus accommodation and off campus accommodation. Keep in mind that on campus accommodation includes everything, you don't have to pay a penny more. Off campus private accommodation often does not include bills (water/electric/gas/internet) so keep that in mind as well!

Second, unless you go for De havilland in your first year, you will have to share a bathroom no matter where you stay :smile: You will not have your own bathroom in private accommodation unless you rent a whole flat.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Pop_tart
First of all, there isn't much of a price difference between on campus accommodation and off campus accommodation. Keep in mind that on campus accommodation includes everything, you don't have to pay a penny more. Off campus private accommodation often does not include bills (water/electric/gas/internet) so keep that in mind as well!

Second, unless you go for De havilland in your first year, you will have to share a bathroom no matter where you stay :smile: You will not have your own bathroom in private accommodation unless you rent a whole flat.

Hey!
Thanks!!!

Well, I think in a house I wouldn't share the bathroom with so many people, but you have a good point, I guess you're right!
No, Havilland or full flat are not an option at all! haha

Do you have any idea when do I have to confirmit, in case I have a positive reply for my accommodation application? I will move to England in August, if I don't have to reply before that I'll visit and have a look around....
Do you know when can we move in?

Well, thanks a lot for your help! :biggrin:
Yeah I'm curious as to when we get to move in too haha
Reply 4
Original post by Cora Prazeres
Hey!
Thanks!!!

Well, I think in a house I wouldn't share the bathroom with so many people, but you have a good point, I guess you're right!
No, Havilland or full flat are not an option at all! haha

Do you have any idea when do I have to confirmit, in case I have a positive reply for my accommodation application? I will move to England in August, if I don't have to reply before that I'll visit and have a look around....
Do you know when can we move in?

Well, thanks a lot for your help! :biggrin:

Original post by charlottew94
Yeah I'm curious as to when we get to move in too haha

Hi again!

In a house you would still share a bathroom with 4 to 8 people depending on how big the house is. There is no way around that - it's not as bad as people think honestly! You have to keep in mind that everyone is in the same position and everyone is unsure if sharing with 'strangers' is okay ^^

Hertfordshire is sometimes late with confirming accommodation but perhaps it's an idea to speak to the students union to see if you can be put on a waiting list so you don't miss out on any private accommodation.

Move in date for UK/Home students in the weekend of 21/22 September - EU and International students can move in in the weekend of 14/15 September.

First week of teaching is generally the first week of October.
Reply 5
Original post by Pop_tart
Hi again!

In a house you would still share a bathroom with 4 to 8 people depending on how big the house is. There is no way around that - it's not as bad as people think honestly! You have to keep in mind that everyone is in the same position and everyone is unsure if sharing with 'strangers' is okay ^^

Hertfordshire is sometimes late with confirming accommodation but perhaps it's an idea to speak to the students union to see if you can be put on a waiting list so you don't miss out on any private accommodation.

Move in date for UK/Home students in the weekend of 21/22 September - EU and International students can move in in the weekend of 14/15 September.

First week of teaching is generally the first week of October.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

I think I will go for the uni accommodations!
:wink:
My course starts September 23rd :smile: when is freshers week usually?
Reply 7
Original post by charlottew94
My course starts September 23rd :smile: when is freshers week usually?

Freshers week sort of starts in the weekend of 21/22 September and then the whole week after.

Teaching starts the first week of October. The academic year starts on the 23rd - some courses do start earlier but most won't until the first week of October.
thank you!
Reply 9
what course you doing? ill be on industrial design :smile: x
Reply 10
Original post by susannad
what course you doing? ill be on industrial design :smile: x

Not sure if the question was for me...hahah
Anyway...I'll be on special effects! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
yh, cant find any1 whos applied to same course!!!
Reply 12
Try creating a new thread for people in your course! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending