The Student Room Group

Pro's of doing a Physics degree vs Engineering degree

Right. Here is my dilemma.

I'm going to university next year, i'm pretty sure i want to study either Physics, or Aerospace Engineering.

I am far more interested in Physics, and would LOVE to learn more about the working of the universe - but it seems that hardly any really interesting jobs can come out (i would LOVE to work in formula one or the Space industry).

The obvious choice then is to studying Aerospace engineering - however this seems less interesting and i've heard the work is non - stop (obviously Physics will also be extremely difficult, but when your more interested, things don't seem as difficult).

Could anyone shed any light on the matter? (no pun intended)
Reply 1
Ok, rule number 1 (I'd have thought, and wiser people have said), study a subject you love. Much more likely to get a place ( especially from interview) if you can be passionate about the subject. And more likely to work hard, get good grades etc. All in all, more likely to get a good degree from a good uni. And you really don't want to have to slog through three or four years of a course you don't much like.

Secondly, it's not as if physics is a despised or disparaged course. I have nothing against Media Studies, but it has its detractors. Physics is widely respected. You can probably find a course with a year in industry, if you're worried about employment prospects.

Finally, you sound as if you find hicks fascinating in its own right. Maybe you'll want to continue in the field post graduation and if so you can make links to engineering then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to some Open Days at Unis that are strong in both subjects (Bristol as one example) and look carefully at whats on offer, ask questions about the courses and talk to staff about the differences. There are Open Days at most Unis in June/July and in September - look carefully, ask lots of questions and you'll gt a feel for which subject appeals more.
Reply 3
I have the same dilemma. I love physics and astronomy but my parents keep telling me that most probably I will become a teacher, something which I don't want... Engineering seems very interesting, especially aerospace engineeering but many students say it's hard and difficult to get in as well.
Original post by angelina.c
I have the same dilemma. I love physics and astronomy but my parents keep telling me that most probably I will become a teacher, something which I don't want... Engineering seems very interesting, especially aerospace engineeering but many students say it's hard and difficult to get in as well.

Why do they say that? Particularly given that you don't want to be a teacher.
Reply 5
Original post by angelina.c

You can go into teaching with an engineering degree in something like maths or physics.
My a level maths teacher did a chemical engineering degree for example .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending