The Student Room Group

Motivating yourself at University.

I didn't think I'd find the transition from sixth form to University so difficult.

I went to a grammar school for 7 years, and I felt pushed beyond my limits when I first began. Piling on the homework and the class tests, it was all too overwhelming. I felt like I had no choice but to continue working and working. But constantly having to meet the unreasonable deadlines, coupled with having to keep up with my intelligent peers, meant that after all those years I was able to do well in exams.

University, on the other hand, is entirely different. Every person works independently, having to keep themselves motivated throughout the year. You go and research, buy books and do reading, all on your own accord. The tutors don't know who you are, and could not care less if you succeed or not. There are coursework deadlines but there is no regular and compulsory set work that I have to do out of fear of the tutor. The content required for doing well in coursework and exams seems less structured... A Levels would consist of having to splurge certain key points onto an exam paper in a structured manner.

I haven't been able to motivate myself. I haven't made friends on my course, so intellectual course related discussion/ hanging out with the motivated people is not an option. And it's too late to weasel my way into an already established friendship group now.

I knew that University would be different, everyone talked of the independent learning. But again, I didn't think I'd find it so hard to work independently.

Has anybody had the same problem? How have you pushed yourself in University? What about pushing yourself to do extremely well, rather than just hoping to scrape by, like I'm currently doing. What keeps you motivated day in and out?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It's not too late to join in with a group studying the same course as you, it will be more difficult sure but by no means impossible. As far as motivation goes, try and plan out what you want to do after university and how to get yourself there, the view all the work you're doing now as being in order to get to where you want to be. Fact is most graduate schemes won't hire anyone without at least a 2.1 and a first is highly beneficial.
Reply 2
I just think of the potentially more money i can earn and the nice things in life it buys me. That keeps me going!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I study languages so maybe it's a bit easier for me, but try and set yourself some short-term goals.

'I'm going to cover this topic on these days and make sure I nail it', then move onto the next one. The further reading you do should interest you and motivate you to keep going. If it doesn't, you need to look harder. Read around what interests you about your subject.
Reply 4
I tend to just think that what we get out is what we put in - so if we don't put the effort in, we won't get much out of the experience, and essentially it's a waste of money (and for some it's a much bigger waste of money than for others like me who only pay £3k a year). That's usually enough to motivate me :tongue: that, and I love my course. I hated the system in school and college, I love it here at uni, which is why I'm doing a lot better at uni than I was at school :tongue:
If I don't study I will fail
I find this a lot to be honest, students who do well at A level even GCSEs whereas university is a whole different ball game.
You've got to realise that you're doing work for your own sake and not to please others or for the fear of tutors. Different things motivate different people. Short term and long term goals can help you. For example, I have a whiteboard and write down regular tasks e.g. go over lecture x today, read up some extra info on y by the end of the week. Long terms goals include working towards a graduate job where the job market insists you get 2:1 or above to be considered. Perhaps treat yourself (e.g. a TV show, a read of a book you like) for doing work.

Also, friendship groups do change and, like other's said, it's not impossible to make friends. If you;re struggling on your course, joining a society may help you meet people with similar interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending