The Student Room Group

Visiting a male friend

I am a girl, and have a male friend of a few years, who I met through a part-time job and now who I see every few months. in September, he is going to do a PGCE for a year in a big city, one that I have never really been to, and he has invited me to go and stay with him one time.
This city is a couple of hours away from where we live, and I am questioning whether it is appropriate for me to go, or whether it is disrespectful to my boyfriend. I have been with him for about a year and a half, and he has met the guy once, and they got on ok which was good.
If I went, I would prefer to stay at a hotel rather than at his place (especially not in his room or something)
My friend has suggested he likes me, and without wanting to sound arrogant, I have wondered it myself. He constantly likes photos of me on facebook, called me a name which implied he found me attractive, and sometimes acts like he is really sad we cannot see each other, and says stuff, even though we are not really close friends.
He even once wanted to make a long trip just to see me for a few hours, which I told him politely that he should not do. My boyfriend is a secure guy and knows I do not find this guy attractive or have any interest in being him.
As I mentioned, we see each other every few months, and we talk probably every couple of weeks, but it is not a friendship where we tell each other everything, stuff like that.
I guess the problem is that I feel uncomfortable with him always liking my pictures and acting in a kind of whiny way if he has not seen me for a long time. I am aware I probably sound bitchy, but I just feel like it is a bit much when he is aware I have a boyfriend.
I would possibly go to visit him, but I would prefer to stay in a hotel. Does this sound like I am over-reacting? Also, does it sound like he is interested or am I over-thinking it? He is definitely a nice person, but I would just find it awkward if he liked me, and would want to discourage him. Thanks.
Reply 1
Have you discussed this with your boyfriend?
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Have you discussed this with your boyfriend?

Not had a chance yet, but I will tonight. My boyfriend was going to have a female friend visiting him from far, and I was totally fine with that, but she could not make it after all. He is not a controlling kind of guy, and I think because of this example he would not be likely to have a problem with it. But I have not discussed my suspicions of him liking me, simply because I did not want to cause problems/my boyfriend to be upset if I went out with him. I am a bit rubbish at all this male friend stuff, I do not have many at all sadly, and if he does like me should I stop hanging out with him? I have no idea really.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Not had a chance yet, but I will tonight. My boyfriend was going to have a female friend visiting him from far, and I was totally fine with that, but she could not make it after all. He is not a controlling kind of guy, and I think because of this example he would not be likely to have a problem with it. But I have not discussed my suspicions of him liking me, simply because I did not want to cause problems/my boyfriend to be upset if I went out with him. I am a bit rubbish at all this male friend stuff, I do not have many at all sadly, and if he does like me should I stop hanging out with him? I have no idea really.

The thing is I could ask him and he could deny it, or I could have completely got the wrong end of the stick.
Reply 4
Anyone else, please?
Reply 5
Anyone else, please?

If he likes you the best thing is not to meet this guy. Just visiting him may get his hopes up
He'll get over you eventually but sadly you'll probably have to sacrifice the friendship.
Reply 6
Original post by bluemax
If he likes you the best thing is not to meet this guy. Just visiting him may get his hopes up
He'll get over you eventually but sadly you'll probably have to sacrifice the friendship.

Thanks for the advice. From what I have said, does it sound like he is attracted to me? Maybe I have not given you enough information... he is friends with a lot of girls (more than guys it seems) and this is what used to make me assume he was only being friendly. I find it very difficult to tell if somebody likes me or not, but whether he does like me or not, liking every picture of me makes me uncomfortable, and especially since my boyfriend sees it. Should I talk to him about that?
And yeah exactly, I would never want to give him any kind of impression that feelings would be reciprocated. I really am not a flirty person in my opinion, and whenever I see him I always talk about my boyfriend. Not constantly, but I mean so as to show him I am committed to him and unavailable.
Reply 7
Just to clarify something, when I said my friend has suggested he likes me, I meant that a female friend has told me she thinks this male friend probably likes me.
Reply 8
It sounds to me as though you'd rather not go.
I am a girl, and have a male friend of a few years, who I met through a part-time job and now who I see every few months. in September, he is going to do a PGCE for a year in a big city, one that I have never really been to, and he has invited me to go and stay with him one time.
This city is a couple of hours away from where we live, and I am questioning whether it is appropriate for me to go, or whether it is disrespectful to my boyfriend. I have been with him for about a year and a half, and he has met the guy once, and they got on ok which was good.
If I went, I would prefer to stay at a hotel rather than at his place (especially not in his room or something)
My friend has suggested he likes me, and without wanting to sound arrogant, I have wondered it myself. He constantly likes photos of me on facebook, called me a name which implied he found me attractive, and sometimes acts like he is really sad we cannot see each other, and says stuff, even though we are not really close friends.
He even once wanted to make a long trip just to see me for a few hours, which I told him politely that he should not do. My boyfriend is a secure guy and knows I do not find this guy attractive or have any interest in being him.
As I mentioned, we see each other every few months, and we talk probably every couple of weeks, but it is not a friendship where we tell each other everything, stuff like that.
I guess the problem is that I feel uncomfortable with him always liking my pictures and acting in a kind of whiny way if he has not seen me for a long time. I am aware I probably sound bitchy, but I just feel like it is a bit much when he is aware I have a boyfriend.
I would possibly go to visit him, but I would prefer to stay in a hotel. Does this sound like I am over-reacting? Also, does it sound like he is interested or am I over-thinking it? He is definitely a nice person, but I would just find it awkward if he liked me, and would want to discourage him. Thanks.

Sounds to me like he may well be interested in you or hoping something may happen...especially from how you've described his behavior which seems quite full on considering you're not massively close (I mean about him being willing to travel a long time just to see you for a short while - us guys don't generally do that for a girl we are not interested in.)
Reply 10

From what you've said I think he may have feelings for you, but he still probably values your friendship as well. If you want to see him go, but maybe staying in a hotel maybe the right option, as just in case something does happen you don't have to spend that night awkwardly at his house. It does sound a bit that your just being friends with him to make him happy whilst your not really that interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
The guy deffo wants more than friends imo. I don't know why but your post gives me the impression your not really bothered about the guy and don't even like him that much or know him that well.

Do you actually want to go and spend time with the guy?? Thats the simple question - the fact your not sure makes me wonder if you are more interested in the trip to the city or to keep even with your bf having female friends. If your being honest and its the latter, I think you should do the guy a favour and back off.

Otherwise sleep on the guys couch or book a hotel. If the couch run it through your bf first though, will save you a good few quid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending