The Student Room Group

OCR AS Computing F451 - Monday 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Any wild, just for fun thoughts on what the 8 marker might be? I think a good one would be on character sets!
Reply 41
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
No, documentation is a method of fact finding, which is part of the information collection stage.

Analysis looks at all the collected information so far (including documents) and they are analysed to find problems with the existing system, good points about it and all the information gathered so far is used to create a requirements spec.

I wouldn't worry too much about analysis though as the Jan 13 paper had an 8 marker on just analysis stage.

If your teacher told you to use bullet points for the 8 marker then he is an idiot. In the 8 markers your QWC is assessed. So, make sure you use paragraphs, correct puncutation, capital letters, full stops and correct terminology - it's no good using terms such as heuristic (just an example) if you can't spell them.

I don't think there's that much to revise on I/O devices; ensure you have a definition of each and that you could name some (automatic input devices should come to mind) and you should be alright.

I do not think that you can get an A from a meager week's revision - the papers vary quite a lot: For the May 11 paper which I just did and thought was quite easy (and got 95 on) it was a pathetic 63 for an A.

And I could not agree with you more: OCR Computing is the most boring subject ever; it put me off studying computer science at uni and I've not applied for psychology.

I'd ensure you know about registers / buses and expert systems as they always seem to ask about those!

Good luck all and if you need any help, just quote!

Yeah I really wonder how he's been working at my school for over 5 years. I've done notes on all the topics in the book and I've been doing past papers for the past few days I think I'm ready to achieve at least a B if the information stays in my head. I'm ready for F452 as well.
Reply 42
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Any wild, just for fun thoughts on what the 8 marker might be? I think a good one would be on character sets!

hmmm, maybe something on chapter 6? like "computers trends are changing! discuss their economic, social, legal and ethical issues on society."

That's obviously just a guess but yeah :P

or maybe an 8 marker on the Documentation stage of the system development life cycle?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
I hope the 8 marker is on a definite (preferably hardware based) question: like "describe what each register does, in order, during the fetch execute cycle" :3
Original post by muyiwaolu
I hope the 8 marker is on a definite (preferably hardware based) question: like "describe what each register does, in order, during the fetch execute cycle" :3

The questions are normally based around the Control Unit, the Main Memory and the ALU. I've done an 8 mark question asking what is the role and purpose of the 3 registers with references to the 3 buses.
Reply 45
Original post by TopStudent258
The questions are normally based around the Control Unit, the Main Memory and the ALU. I've done an 8 mark question asking what is the role and purpose of the 3 registers with references to the 3 buses.

Oh I know that but you can only wish eh. I would certainly prefer the question I stated above than an Implications of Computer use question.
Oh I know that but you can only wish eh. I would certainly prefer the question I stated above than an Implications of Computer use question.

I think that both questions would be easier to pick up high marks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Just did the January 2011 paper and got 73/100 (you need 69 to get an A). It was okay, but I really messed up towards the later questions and got 0 marks on part 9a), 2 marks on part 8c (i and ii) and, and 2 marks on 8d) (I stupidly explained the characteristics of a knowledge based setup and not how it is setup).

I can understand my mistakes in 9a and 8d but part 8c and d really had me stumped. How would you answer these kind of questions? (because I remember them giving me problems in a previous past paper)

8c) The entire production process, including the rolling of the sheet metal, is computerised. The process is controlled from a central control room which is operated by a single operator.

(i) Describe the different forms of output that would be used to present information to the operator. [6]

(ii) Explain why the quality of the interface design is important in applications like this. [6]
Reply 48
Just did the January 2011 paper and got 73/100 (you need 69 to get an A). It was okay, but I really messed up towards the later questions and got 0 marks on part 9a), 2 marks on part 8c (i and ii) and, and 2 marks on 8d) (I stupidly explained the characteristics of a knowledge based setup and not how it is setup).

I can understand my mistakes in 9a and 8d but part 8c and d really had me stumped. How would you answer these kind of questions? (because I remember them giving me problems in a previous past paper)

8c) The entire production process, including the rolling of the sheet metal, is computerised. The process is controlled from a central control room which is operated by a single operator.

(i) Describe the different forms of output that would be used to present information to the operator. [6]

(ii) Explain why the quality of the interface design is important in applications like this. [6]

I know! I would like to know this too... I looked at the mark scheme and was like... how the hell are you supposed to know that??
Reply 49
Original post by Onyxus
I know! I would like to know this too... I looked at the mark scheme and was like... how the hell are you supposed to know that??

I do believe I saw something noted in the revision guide I was using, but it must have been so minimal because I hardly took note. Back to the books, I guess! :/

Edit: I found a section on the revision guide that was linked in the thread here that states:

Good Interface Design (1.2.u)

It is important to design user interfaces well, so that the software is simple and intuitive to use. When designing the user interface, 4 factors should be considered:

Who the software is for

What information needs to be conveyed

The circumstances under which the interface will be used

The effectiveness of the communication

So I think we have to keep those points in mind and apply them to the specific case of the question given. It's not easy, but then again the 6 markers and above are the high B to A grade questions so they're not meant to be easy, I guess. Hope it helps!
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm in Year 10 and doing F451 on Monday, I was wondering if anyone knows if we're allowed calculators? They'd be helpful in the binary questions.
Reply 51
Original post by magictimetravel
I'm in Year 10 and doing F451 on Monday, I was wondering if anyone knows if we're allowed calculators? They'd be helpful in the binary questions.

Yeah we are. How come you're doing an AS in year 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Onyxus

It's to do with reports, graphs, sound, multimedia stuff. I'm sure I saw it in my revision book.
Reply 53
Original post by Dilzo999
It's to do with reports, graphs, sound, multimedia stuff. I'm sure I saw it in my revision book.

Yeah you're correct. Which revision book are you using if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 54
Yeah you're correct. Which revision book are you using if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I'm just using some random online computer textbook one. It's pretty detailed and tells you exactly what you need to know and it has tests and resources and stuff. I have it on my computer and if you want certain bits I can upload them.
Reply 55
Original post by Dilzo999
I'm just using some random online computer textbook one. It's pretty detailed and tells you exactly what you need to know and it has tests and resources and stuff. I have it on my computer and if you want certain bits I can upload them.

Thanks, I have access to it but I never much used it. I'll give it a read before going to bed tonight!
Reply 56
Thanks, I have access to it but I never much used it. I'll give it a read before going to bed tonight!

It is a little bit outdated but it gets the job done.
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Yeah we are. How come you're doing an AS in year 10?

Oh, thank goodness. We did GCSE ICT from Year 9 and my school just offered it as another option - there are about 25 or so of us taking it.
Reply 58
Original post by magictimetravel
Oh, thank goodness. We did GCSE ICT from Year 9 and my school just offered it as another option - there are about 25 or so of us taking it.

Wow, there are only 10 taking it at my school haha, are you taking F452 on thursday too?
Reply 59
I want the 8 marker to be about keeping stored information secure that would be great then they can mention ethics and that rubbish they like but you can make easy solid points - Physically protecting the server room, physical firewall, only giving passwords to people that require them, encrypting data. That would be a good question I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending