The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Core text & Background Text

I have been looking on the Uni website and each module in my course has a list of books such as Core Text and Background Text.

Are we supposed to buy or loan these books from a library throughout the course ?

I was looking at purchasing some now ready but wasnt sure the emphasis placed on them, presumably the core text is the most important from which the module is based around so worth buying ?

Cheers
Reply 1
Hello,

First of all which course are you doing?

For ALL ECS first year students, the books are available for long term loan and there is a book for everyone so that you don't have to buy anything.

For the other departments, you would have to buy them or find them at the library but there are no copies for everyone.

Also, as long as your are paying £9k, you are given a certain amount of money in order to buy your books from the university bookshop (John Smith).

The core textbooks are the ones you will need throughout the year and the majority of the things that will be taught to you will be based on these textbooks, whereas the background textbooks will be supplementary and you may need them for short time periods.

I hope this helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending