The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Postgraduate accommodation at York

Hi all, I've been offered to start a math PhD in York, and I was hoping to get some insight on which college to choose for accommodation. I'm looking for ensuite rooms only.
Alcuin College seems decent and is quite close to the math dept, however there's only one block available for posgrads, They do have a pretty small number of people per kitchen compared to other colleges which is one of the main things I'm looking for.
Wentworth is an only postgrad college and to my knowledge offers the same facilities as Halifax except it's 6 people per kitchen instead of 4-8 and there's people who clean the kitchen every week.
Goodricke and Langwith seem to be very similar to each other. They all have long beds and 6-12 people per kitchen. Overall they're decent places but I don't really like how far they are from the math dept.
Which of the ones I mentioned would you recommend?

thank you
Reply 1
I'm going to be doing my MSc in Computer Science and even thought the CS Dept is on East campus I chose Wentworth due to its lakeside location, being pg only, being closer to town and being on the main campus. Another student said that Wentworth always has people in it and doesn't die when the undergrads all leave.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Hi,

Im thinking of staying at The Boulevard on Hull Road (privately ran by Derwent Students) as it seems a good balance of still feeling like a student (bills included, takeaways nearby,not too far to either uni or town) but also of being a little more mature (studio rooms, new shiny fittings). When I finish, I'm sure my job wont be 2 minutes from my house, so I dont mind a 20 minute walk - it will help wake me up in the morning! When I went to view, the girl said they do have postgrad/mature only flats, which is a good option if you dont mind just sharing a kitchen/sofa.
xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending