The Student Room Group

Switching masters SFE

Hi there,

I’m currently studying for a 2 year part-time Msc in computer science. I’ve only done 1 trimester of it and realise that it’s not the right course for me. I spoke to a careers guidance advisor and we agreed that the MBA would be more suitable for me.

I am eligible to apply for the MBA at the same university (University of York) and the only hiccup for me would be student finance (I live in England). The tuition fees for the MBA are significant and the only way I could afford it is if I remain eligible for the postgraduate loan I was originally offered for the MSc in computer science.

Can you let me know if I will still receive the postgraduate student loan if I switch courses (especially since it’s the same university and I’ve only done 1 trimester so far) from the MSc to a MBA?

Many thanks :smile:
Hi Medicswitching,

You can transfer between eligible postgraduate master's MA courses and remain eligible for the postgraduate loan as long as the your previous course has not ended. In this case we require the university to notify us of the course change by sending us a Change of Circumstances electronically.

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Medicswitching,

You can transfer between eligible postgraduate master's MA courses and remain eligible for the postgraduate loan as long as the your previous course has not ended. In this case we require the university to notify us of the course change by sending us a Change of Circumstances electronically.

Thanks,
Calum
Thank you Calum :smile:

Do I need to be switching from an active course for this to be valid? For example, if I were to do the MBA from another uni (eg Warwick) in September after withdrawing from York in March, would I still be eligible? Or do I need to be specifically switching at York uni itself from the MSc to the MBA without any hiatus between them?

Many thanks
Original post by Medicswitching
Thank you Calum :smile:

Do I need to be switching from an active course for this to be valid? For example, if I were to do the MBA from another uni (eg Warwick) in September after withdrawing from York in March, would I still be eligible? Or do I need to be specifically switching at York uni itself from the MSc to the MBA without any hiatus between them?

Many thanks
Hi there,

You can switch universities, that's fine, so long as you're not classed as withdrawn from your previous course.

So, for example, your new university can send us a Change of Circumstances confirming that you've transferred and you'll still be entitled to any remaining payments.

In this case we don't need to hear from your current university at all, just the new one.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending