The Student Room Group

Marking inaccuracies affecting my degree classification!!

So basically I was looking over my marks, and realised that some of them had been rounded up, i.e. 59.5 was 60 and other rounded down to 59 for example. I was on the very edge of getting a 2.1 literally by a mark, and these rounding downs have made the difference. Does anyone know if I have grounds for appeal?
Reply 1
I would say you probably have, yeah. Particularly if a majority of your modules were 2:1 or 1st
Reply 2
Original post by scrotgrot
I would say you probably have, yeah. Particularly if a majority of your modules were 2:1 or 1st

They were mainly 2.1s this year, last year they weren't (they would have been for the essays in the modules, but last year I was sick during exams and they brought most my module marks down to 2.2s, I had submitted medical evidence for this however). I do sociology and anthropology, they told me in anthropology that due to being unwell if my mark was very close (i.e. 59!) I might get a chance to have my mark pushed up, however it is sociology who decides on your final mark and I'm wondering whether this medical evidence wasn't passed from the anthropology department to the sociology one like it was meant to! Guess I can inquire about that too, no harm in trying after all!
Definitely. You have a case, get your evidence/report together and contact them.
Reply 4
Original post by lizzzyy1
They were mainly 2.1s this year, last year they weren't (they would have been for the essays in the modules, but last year I was sick during exams and they brought most my module marks down to 2.2s, I had submitted medical evidence for this however). I do sociology and anthropology, they told me in anthropology that due to being unwell if my mark was very close (i.e. 59!) I might get a chance to have my mark pushed up, however it is sociology who decides on your final mark and I'm wondering whether this medical evidence wasn't passed from the anthropology department to the sociology one like it was meant to! Guess I can inquire about that too, no harm in trying after all!

I believe you have a great case, for one thing you can't argue with maths, and for another they do take illness and stuff seriously
Reply 5
It depends. If your uni has a stated policy that marks will be rounded up (usually in the range 0.5-0.9) or down (usually in the range 0.1-0.4) to the nearest whole percentage, then they've followed procedure, you've been subject to the same marking scheme as everyone else, and you have no grounds for appeal.

Check the small print before getting your hopes up.
Original post by Klix88
It depends. If your uni has a stated policy that marks will be rounded up (usually in the range 0.5-0.9) or down (usually in the range 0.1-0.4) to the nearest whole percentage, then they've followed procedure, you've been subject to the same marking scheme as everyone else, and you have no grounds for appeal.

Check the small print before getting your hopes up.

I concur. Your marks will have been looked at closely by an exam board as you were a borderline case. You should make an enquiry about how the final decision was made, but don't get your hopes up about things changing. It's very unlikely that someone made a mistake with a calculator and your degree classification changed as a result!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending