The Student Room Group

Adv Higher Art Help!

Hey guys! I'm taking advanced higher art this year after taking higher art last year and really enjoying it. My theme's for higher were expressive:- memories at the seaside and design:- india. This year I kinda wanted my theme to be culture and so i've done some drawings inspired by native americans and also some inspired by the chinese culture. What do you's think? I'd love your opinions as i want to tie the two areas together and dont know if that's possible/will it work and if so the theme title? thanks so much in advance X
Reply 1
You could maybe have 'World Cultures' as your theme, so that you could merge the two into one theme?
Reply 2
Are you doing design or expressive as your main unit? That sounds like a really good start though, and its a fairly wide theme so you won't run out of areas to look at.
Reply 3
Thanks so much for replying! 'World Cultures' is a really good idea and my teacher agree's but says i'd have to add in at least one more culture so i think i'd do indian or african culture too. Sounds strange but i've not totally decided yet.. So far I've just done drawings which could fit into either unit, but i'm unsure which would be better, I'm better at the design unit but then have some good ideas if i did do expressive. There's also the option of doing one culture for design and one for expressive but i'd rather concentrate on one folio and then do the critical essays x
Original post by sophielaur
Thanks so much for replying! 'World Cultures' is a really good idea and my teacher agree's but says i'd have to add in at least one more culture so i think i'd do indian or african culture too. Sounds strange but i've not totally decided yet.. So far I've just done drawings which could fit into either unit, but i'm unsure which would be better, I'm better at the design unit but then have some good ideas if i did do expressive. There's also the option of doing one culture for design and one for expressive but i'd rather concentrate on one folio and then do the critical essays x

Hello!

I did AH art last (this?) year so maybe I can help.

I notice you mentioned 'critical essays' - do you know there's only 1 essay. You choose a particular subject (that will inform your main unit) and write a relatively long - 1500-200 words if I remember right - essay on it. As long as you don't leave it to last minute it's really not that much to get done.

As for your theme, World Culture would probably be ok but from my own particular experience if you're doing expressive (as I did) its important you can do lots of drawing from life and I'm not sure how you would work this out. To me it sounds more suited to design as you could draw plenty of inspiration from native clothes/jewelry etc. Make sure your theme doesn't get too wide though.

If there's anything else you were wondering about I'd be happy to try and help!
Reply 5
Oh I am so confused. I am taking AH Art as well but I don't even know where to start! I have my theme and inspiration sorted out but what do I do now?
Reply 6
I did AH Art and I'm waiting for my results, so maybe I can help a bit. I didn't start with a theme, I just sketched a few ideas. After a while I ended up drawing other people while they are drawing/painting etc. I don't think it's a common theme :P Many people in my class did the Elderly, some did Reflections etc. I kinda wished I did postures or Emotions as my theme. Whatever your theme, try to use a variety of media and do a little research in artists who have work which share your theme :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending