The Student Room Group

I don't think I like my new Sixth Form College? Help?

I've finished my GCSEs, and an AS level. Instead of continuing on at my old school, which I got tired of and there is less choice for subjects. I decided to apply for a selective Sixth Form College elsewhere. I liked the option choice, the high results and the opportunities. I went to the open day, and didn't seem so keen on it, but I figured that I will grow to like it.

I managed to get place automatically, thanks to my grades and an interview. However, I went to the induction day, and although I was nervous, I just couldn't get a nice feel for it. It sounds stupid, but there was a high energy for students, but I couldn't enjoy that. I know I will make friends, but the people in my classes are extremely bright, they knew all the 30 answers to the quizzes and I knew 10. The teachers seemed like experts, but again, I found they were either dull, strict or pushy. The atmosphere is meant to be like a step up to university, so I understand the stress, but I think they go over the top over the fact that A Levels are very stressful. I felt very put off by 'you must work hard', 'if you don't put all your effort in, you will fail'. It just made it depressing.

I'm not sure if I want to go there anymore. My heart was never really in it, but I just feel stupid and worry if I may regret leaving/joining this sixth form. I could still enrol back at my old school, which has a good sixth form, but perhaps less opportunities for me for getting into university.

What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Pokrok
I've finished my GCSEs, and an AS level. Instead of continuing on at my old school, which I got tired of and there is less choice for subjects. I decided to apply for a selective Sixth Form College elsewhere. I liked the option choice, the high results and the opportunities. I went to the open day, and didn't seem so keen on it, but I figured that I will grow to like it.

I managed to get place automatically, thanks to my grades and an interview. However, I went to the induction day, and although I was nervous, I just couldn't get a nice feel for it. It sounds stupid, but there was a high energy for students, but I couldn't enjoy that. I know I will make friends, but the people in my classes are extremely bright, they knew all the 30 answers to the quizzes and I knew 10. The teachers seemed like experts, but again, I found they were either dull, strict or pushy. The atmosphere is meant to be like a step up to university, so I understand the stress, but I think they go over the top over the fact that A Levels are very stressful. I felt very put off by 'you must work hard', 'if you don't put all your effort in, you will fail'. It just made it depressing.

I'm not sure if I want to go there anymore. My heart was never really in it, but I just feel stupid and worry if I may regret leaving/joining this sixth form. I could still enrol back at my old school, which has a good sixth form, but perhaps less opportunities for me for getting into university.

What should I do?

Literally go with your gut! I was in the same situation 2 years ago, if you move back the earlier you do it the better so you don't have to learn different spec for the same subjects!

I moved back after 2 months - and I wish i'd of done it earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending