The Student Room Group

Changing sixth form a term in?

I decided to go to the closest sixth form-college to me that's far away instead of a sixth form but I get back at 5pm every night and have no way of getting back in frees so I'm stuck there all day. There's a school near me that has a really good sixth form that I want to move to. It's 9 min away by car and I can walk home if I need to. I'm being predicted A*A*A atm and don't want to mess that up but I think moving could be really good for me. I've looked at the courses and they seem similar enough and there isn't anything I've done that they're not doing also I just don't know if it'll be a similar order? Would I be risking falling behind if I move school, and would it be hard to meet people this far in? I don't really get on with anyone too well at college now that I feel like I'd really miss.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by miac16
I decided to go to the closest sixth form-college to me that's far away instead of a sixth form but I get back at 5pm every night and have no way of getting back in frees so I'm stuck there all day. There's a school near me that has a really good sixth form that I want to move to. It's 9 min away by car and I can walk home if I need to. I'm being predicted A*A*A atm and don't want to mess that up but I think moving could be really good for me. I've looked at the courses and they seem similar enough and there isn't anything I've done that they're not doing also I just don't know if it'll be a similar order? Would I be risking falling behind if I move school, and would it be hard to meet people this far in? I don't really get on with anyone too well at college now that I feel like I'd really miss.

Only change if you can do better in your exams.
Original post by miac16

Hi @miac16

I think it is always worth considering your options. If I were in your position I would arrange a meeting (could be a phone call or online meeting) with the new college. I find it is always helpful to talk to someone. Check things like what exam boards they use for the subjects that you will be studying.

Your predicted grades show that you are very academic, so a change in environment should not be a huge issue. Of course, there will be an adjustment period where things may seem difficult but it is important to remind yourself that it is a big change, but you will be okay:smile:

As for making friends, I believe it is pretty easy to make friends in a context like a school or a college, as long as you are proactive about it. You may find that the students live closer to you too.

It is not fun getting home at 5 pm every day, especially during the winter. One luxury of being an A Level student is being able to go home or leave campus during your frees, so it would be nice for you to experience this too.

Wishing you all the best with whatever you choose to do!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest