The Student Room Group

BSMS Applicants 2014 Entry

Hey.. for all those who are wishing to apply for medicine to Brighton and Sussex Medical School for the 2014 entry or deferred 2015 entry, come and join here.

Uni site

Entry Requirement:-
For more information:A-levels: AAAb to include Biology and Chemistry at Advanced Level and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking
Scottish Highers: 370 points from 18
units with both Biology and Chemistry
at minimum Advanced Higher A grade

International Baccalaureate: 36
points with both Biology and Chemistry at minimum grade 6 at
Higher level.

Good luck.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump :smile:
Reply 2
BSMS is my favourite university, I reaaaally want to go there! It's definitely my number one choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hey there :smile: Thought I'd just ask as I've been receiving varied answers to BSMS selection procedure. Is it mainly PS and reference or a combination or Grades, how much are they weighted for shortlisting?
Applying as a graduate- apparently it's good for graduate entry, but bricking it for the bmat!
Anyone else applying as a grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Naziasiddiqui
Applying as a graduate- apparently it's good for graduate entry, but bricking it for the bmat!
Anyone else applying as a grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

BSMS don't do a graduate entry programme. Graduates join the same course as the undergraduates. i.e. still 5 years. Graduates do have to take the BMAT though, instead of the UKCAT.
Reply 6
I have been to their open days in August 2012. I loved the school, the individual approach, small size and early clinical experience and I am definitely applying :smile: Why did you guys choose BSMS?
Reply 7
I really want to apply here

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am defo applying here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Went on the open day and have to say the teaching approach here sounds very very good...
I am thinking about BSMS but feeling slightly gutted that Admissions made the switch for graduate applicants from the UKCAT to the BMAT. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by DrumChops
Went on the open day and have to say the teaching approach here sounds very very good...

I agree, and everyone was extremely friendly. When I went there in 2012 I was alone, from a foreign country and everybody was so williing to help! I felt very welcome.

Any of you applying from outside the UK?
Where are all the BSMS applicants!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Can I make sure that BSMS don't use UKCAT as cutoffs right?
Original post by SiMan
Can I make sure that BSMS don't use UKCAT as cutoffs right?

They only use ukcat after interviews in borderline cases. So you're safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by letsbehonest
They only use ukcat after interviews in borderline cases. So you're safe

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, my only chance now is to make the best PS ever and give the best interview I can (Praise God when I get one!).
Reply 16
I'm looking to apply there for the undergraduate, defo my first choice.
Does anyone know what does Brighton look at most? GCSEs, As Levels, A2 predicitions?

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by isabela_
I'm looking to apply there for the undergraduate, defo my first choice.
Does anyone know what does Brighton look at most? GCSEs, As Levels, A2 predicitions?

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

I think they look at academia as a whole, thought they don't necessarily specify the number of A/A* at GCSE, they do take anything you have in account when chosing for interviews.
Hello! I'm starting year 12 next week so am a 2015 applicant, but thought I would keep an eye on this thread anyway!

GCSEs: 7 A*s, 2.5 As & 1 distinction

Work Experience (completed by next summer):
- 1 week in hospital A&E
- 1 week in another hospital (not sure which department yet)
- 1 week in a GP surgery
- 1 year volunteering in a dementia care home
- 2 years volunteering in the local library, helping with community activities

ECs:

I'm a little low on these. I love to read and I play badminton. Will also make sure I get involved with some student council stuff at sixth form.

I plan to apply to Keele and BSMS, and then my other 2 choices will depend on my UKCAT score. If it's good I'll apply to either Newcastle or Exeter and Leicester. If not so good will probably be Bristol and possibly Nottingham. I am particularly keen on Keele and BSMS.

I've done quite a lot of research into the different unis and ruled out those that wouldn't like me for various reasons. For example, Edinburgh and Birmingham are definite no's because of my lack of ECs. Can anyone see a reason why the choices I have mentioned (particularly BSMS) would be definite no's, providing I (hopefully) get As and Bs in my AS levels?

Thanks!
Molly :smile:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Hello! I'm starting year 12 next week so am a 2015 applicant, but thought I would keep an eye on this thread anyway!

GCSEs: 7 A*s, 2.5 As & 1 distinction

Work Experience (completed by next summer):
- 1 week in hospital A&E
- 1 week in another hospital (not sure which department yet)
- 1 week in a GP surgery
- 1 year volunteering in a dementia care home
- 2 years volunteering in the local library, helping with community activities

ECs:

I'm a little low on these. I love to read and I play badminton. Will also make sure I get involved with some student council stuff at sixth form.

I plan to apply to Keele and BSMS, and then my other 2 choices will depend on my UKCAT score. If it's good I'll apply to either Newcastle or Exeter and Leicester. If not so good will probably be Bristol and possibly Nottingham. I am particularly keen on Keele and BSMS.

I've done quite a lot of research into the different unis and ruled out those that wouldn't like me for various reasons. For example, Edinburgh and Birmingham are definite no's because of my lack of ECs. Can anyone see a reason why the choices I have mentioned (particularly BSMS) would be definite no's, providing I (hopefully) get As and Bs in my AS levels?

Thanks!
Molly :smile:

Just keep your options open, BOOK IN ADVANCE FOR OPEN DAYS - esp medicine ones as they are always fully booked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending