The Student Room Group

careers after clinical science degree

Hi comrades :tongue: lol

I've been looking at various websites online but I'm still a bit stuck as to what you can do after a 3 year degree in clinical sciences. I've read that you can go into clinical psychology, finance management, healthcare sciences etc etc. The most appealing thing to me would be to go into healthcare sciences. From the websites I've looked at I've seen that healthcare sciences can be divided into life sciences, physiological sciences and clinical engineering/ medical physics.

I'm not too keen on physics so I had a look at life sciences and physiological sciences online and life sciences seem more appealing. The NHS Careers website states

Life sciences is divided into four areas -

blood diagnostic services
infection sciences
tissue and cellular science
genetics

I've had look at these and it seems those involve analysing tissues, sampling blood and diagnosing, working in fertility/ reproduction (i.e .for the genetics) etc etc. Unistats from 2011 show that graduates from the clinical science course were earning about 19,000 after 6 months of graduating so would you just do that for the rest of your life or is there opportunity to progress further after years of hard work etc e.g. I briefly saw that there are such things as consultant clinical scientists not sure what they do though or how you get there e.g. did they have to study medicine first? Also is there anything else you can do with clinical sciences which are similar to the life sciences kind of thing or is that about it . I'm looking to study a course I would enjoy but I'm also trying to look ahead e.g. what type of jobs may be available if I get the relevant experience, whether I'd actually be able to live off the salary and if it is at all possible to progress higher after a couple of years of hard work/ experience.. so confused at the moment :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending