The Student Room Group

I wish I went to a private school...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sheldor
It always makes me quite sad when I hear people have such bad opinions of private school kids- out of curiosity, were/are the people you knew/know from private schools from public boarding schools or local day schools? There's a very big difference between them. :smile: (Namely that private day schools have way more range in incomes, spanning the entire middle class.)

One thing i've never quite understood is the idea that private school kids see less diversity than state school kids? I mean obviously that's the case in a lot of cases, but my school doesn't have people of more incomes than a nearby state school in a good area..:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

While I can definitely see the merits, education wise, I know a few people who have been to private and boarding schools.

Obviously no one is going to have the same experience as the other, and my statement is completely anecdotal but I've been told that the large amount of disposable income can in many cases lead to drugs...
My fiancé has moved around 9 times during his school years and he has fed back many stories not painting them to be as rosy a place as you'd like to think (he went to the day schools and has a very middle class upbringing)
What it tends to boil down to is how the child has been bought up.

All that aside though, the merits do outweigh the downsides as a whole - I will definitely send mine there. But at the same time to teach him/her the realities of life and keep them grounded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I'd been to the private school where it was all about the partying, instead of the one I actually went to! :cry2:
Reply 22
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I wish I'd been to the private school where it was all about the partying, instead of the one I actually went to! :cry2:

what was it like?
there's no point wishing for things,sometimes you just have to make the best of what you do have
Original post by CurtisDean
what was it like?

A lot of hard work, tbh - we did have pretty good fun and yes, lots of sports, but it certainly wasn't the drug/party scene being described by some people here. Yeah, work hard, play hard, but not drugs - there were a few people into that, but a small minority.
Reply 25
You go to school to study and learn, if you like private schools so much you can always send your child to one in the future.
Reply 26
Original post by Sheldor
It always makes me quite sad when I hear people have such bad opinions of private school kids- out of curiosity, were/are the people you knew/know from private schools from public boarding schools or local day schools? There's a very big difference between them. :smile: (Namely that private day schools have way more range in incomes, spanning the entire middle class.)

One thing i've never quite understood is the idea that private school kids see less diversity than state school kids? I mean obviously that's the case in a lot of cases, but my school doesn't have people of more incomes than a nearby state school in a good area..:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would it make you sad? Some people have had bad experiences with certain groups of people which explains their attitude.
Reply 27
Original post by darkmaterials
there's no point wishing for things,sometimes you just have to make the best of what you do have

good attitude :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Ripper-Roo
You go to school to study and learn, if you like private schools so much you can always send your child to one in the future.

The human has to be able to afford it
A lot of hard work, tbh

Yes but you get a discounted ticket into oxbridge

we did have pretty good fun and yes

Orgies did you say?

lots of sports, but it certainly wasn't the drug/party scene being described by some people here. Yeah, work hard, play hard, but not drugs - there were a few people into that, but a small minority.

David Cameron was maybe you should copy him when you go to oxbridge
Reply 29
Original post by BonnyBonny
The human has to be able to afford it

if op works hard enough and gets a good job

Yes but you get a discounted ticket into oxbridge

Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you are talking about 'unfair' advantages, I don't think that's true - people have to work just as hard to get into an Oxford college in my experience when they come via the fee-paying route - there are no guarantees and no special places reserved for private schools. Maybe teaching standards are higher in some cases, but you have to make the grades and do well at interview and in admission tests, your teachers can't do it for you.
Why would it make you sad? Some people have had bad experiences with certain groups of people which explains their attitude.

Just because it makes me feel as if they're also negatively judging me. I personally make a point not to base a negative attitude on groups of people (as in race, class, school, hometown, nationality etc.) on previous experiences with people from that group, more to take it by the individual. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I wish i went to a private school as they have smaller classes meaning that you get more attention and help with work.
Reply 33
Original post by Sheldor
Just because it makes me feel as if they're also negatively judging me. I personally make a point not to base a negative attitude on groups of people (as in race, class, school, hometown, nationality etc.) on previous experiences with people from that group, more to take it by the individual. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those people are ignorant and I completely agree that the individual should be judged independently of their upbringing and demographic, there are good and bad students in both schools.
Reply 34
Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you are talking about 'unfair' advantages, I don't think that's true

:lol:

- people have to work just as hard to get into an Oxford college in my experience when they come via the fee-paying route

Not disputing that however these individuals are guided in the right direction much more efficiently

-
there are no guarantees and no special places reserved for private schools.

Maybe teaching standards are higher in some cases, but you have to make the grades and do well at interview and in admission tests, your teachers can't do it for you.

Yeah but you under a lot of pressure paying the money to succeed that seriously lack with working class state school where "No it is fine my darling you can go on the dole"
Those people are ignorant and I completely agree that the individual should be judged independently of their upbringing and demographic, there are good and bad students in both schools.

Thanks, a lot of people seem to have quite strange ideas about what the school your parents chose means about your personality. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
My niece and nephews go to private schools and don't have nearly as much fun ( if at all ) as the OP thinks. Costs my brother in law a fortune ( I worked out that by the time they have finished it will have been ..... wait for it £1000000 in total) and results so far - pretty rubbish. My nephew came out with CCC last week.

By contrast my son loved his grammar school - had parties all time, played loads of sport - made great friends and came out with A*AB. School is what you make it.

Not disputing that however these individuals are guided in the right direction much more efficiently

At the college I went to, the latest figure for state school acceptances is 62% - so apparently some state schools must also be good at 'guiding in the right direction'.
Reply 38
Ha, I wish my private school was full of partying! I am, and always will be, very thankful for my parents for putting me through 7 years of private school as it has probably helped me reach where I am today. On the other hand, there was an internal hierarchy within school that has damaged me a lot mentally and emotionally and will affect me forever, and I worked myself into the ground constantly trying to live up to the high achieving standards set for us. By no means am I trying to act hard done by, but it's the truth!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
At the college I went to, the latest figure for state school acceptances is 62% - so apparently some state schools must also be good at 'guiding in the right direction'.

But private schools are better and should be better when paying a larger amount

It is clear that as the universities become more inferior private school admittance is less

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending