The Student Room Group

Organisation system for AS levels?

I start my AS levels in September and have no clue how best to organize myself and all my work. My parents have suggested having one folder in school with a pocket for each teacher that I empty each week into a ring binder for each subject. My friends seem to be having a ring binder for each subject that they will carry around with them. What sort of things did you do, and what would you suggest?
Reply 1
Ring binder for each subject. You'll need notes from previous lessons to refer to back to throughout the year. Make sure you get some dividers to split it up by topic and keep the folders organised and neat!

Also, get an A4 notebook with pre hole-punch pages and perforated so it's easy to remove and put in your ring binder. You don't need one per subject but always have a spare at home for when you're close to running out of paper! It's easier to carry one round and tear pages out to put in the right folder :smile:

Another thing to do is use frees to do homework cos then you'll have more free time at home. It helps though I barely did it and it's do tempting to do nothing when around your friends, so it may be an idea to sit away from them when doing it! Also do homework the day you get it when you can! Helps you keep on top of things.

I've just finished Year 12 so if you have any questions just ask! What subjects are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I agree, a folder for each subject but I used to leave the folders at home and carry one big ring binder in where I would keep the latest topics notes. When I finished a topic I would empty it into the proper folder at home.
Carrying them round is fine but you might find that by Christmas they've gotten preeeeeetty heavy!
And definitely carry a pad of hole punched paper. Don't be the guy who is always borrowing paper. I was always that guy (girl) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Paralove
Ring binder for each subject. You'll need notes from previous lessons to refer to back to throughout the year. Make sure you get some dividers to split it up by topic and keep the folders organised and neat!

Also, get an A4 notebook with pre hole-punch pages and perforated so it's easy to remove and put in your ring binder. You don't need one per subject but always have a spare at home for when you're close to running out of paper! It's easier to carry one round and tear pages out to put in the right folder :smile:

Another thing to do is use frees to do homework cos then you'll have more free time at home. It helps though I barely did it and it's do tempting to do nothing when around your friends, so it may be an idea to sit away from them when doing it! Also do homework the day you get it when you can! Helps you keep on top of things.

I've just finished Year 12 so if you have any questions just ask! What subjects are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that is really helpful, I hadn't thought about the paper. How were your AS results? And I am doing four out of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and History, which four, I am not sure yet though.
Reply 4
I'm starting my AS in September too! I've bought 4 lever arch files (one for each subject) to keep at home and with dividers for each unit. Then I've got one ring binder that I will take with me to school with dividers for each subject. I will use it to store any handouts given by the teachers and then at the end of the week I will transfer those to lever arch files at home. And then I've got notebook for each subject in which I will make class notes. Anyway I hope it will work :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by augustbaby
Thank you, that is really helpful, I hadn't thought about the paper. How were your AS results? And I am doing four out of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and History, which four, I am not sure yet though.

I had AAAB in maths, geography, environmental studies and French respectively (though annoyed as my B was 4 UMS off an A :/). I dropped Environmental after the may half term though, sooooo not carrying on with that D:

Your choices sound good! To decide, bear in mind the kind of course you may be interested in if you want to go to uni as some have specific subjects they want you to have done, but also do something you'll enjoy, it's crappy when you hate the subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Paralove
I had AAAB in maths, geography, environmental studies and French respectively (though annoyed as my B was 4 UMS off an A :/). I dropped Environmental after the may half term though, sooooo not carrying on with that D:

Your choices sound good! To decide, bear in mind the kind of course you may be interested in if you want to go to uni as some have specific subjects they want you to have done, but also do something you'll enjoy, it's crappy when you hate the subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done, they sound good! and I am waiting till results day to see if that gives me any clues, although I doubt it will, but I have been doing some research into uni so hope it will all be okay.
Reply 7
Original post by Obliviate
I'm starting my AS in September too! I've bought 4 lever arch files (one for each subject) to keep at home and with dividers for each unit. Then I've got one ring binder that I will take with me to school with dividers for each subject. I will use it to store any handouts given by the teachers and then at the end of the week I will transfer those to lever arch files at home. And then I've got notebook for each subject in which I will make class notes. Anyway I hope it will work :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds good, not carrying too much around, I am thinking about what would happen if i need to refer to things from weeks ago if that would work, I might try it out though.
Reply 8
Original post by augustbaby
That sounds good, not carrying too much around, I am thinking about what would happen if i need to refer to things from weeks ago if that would work, I might try it out though.

I hope the class notes in notebooks that I will always have with me will be enough to refer back to work from weeks ago, when I don't have the handouts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Obliviate
I hope the class notes in notebooks that I will always have with me will be enough to refer back to work from weeks ago, when I don't have the handouts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh sorry i misunderstood you, that does make more sense! Thank you!
I'm starting on the 9th - excited but nervous! I've got 1ringbinder-per-unit (so 8 in total) & I've also got one to take to school. The 8 kept at home will have 10 dividers, whilst the one I'm taking to school will have 5 dividers. I've also got a notebook-per-unit where I plan to re-write my notes (or maybe use them for revision purposes).

I've also bought a 5-subject Pukka pad, as well as refill pads. I'm not sure which one I'm going to take to school, as the pukka pad will probably run out quite quickly. :P
Reply 11
For the two years at sixth form I used the system:
A pukka pad for all 4 subjects separated by the dividers
Handouts and paper given to me in lessons were kept in the front plastic divider/wallet thing in the front of the pukka pad. Then once I'd finished with these handouts I'd file them into the lever arch file I kept at home (one for each subject.)

this way I only had one notebook to carry containing all of the topic notes & extra handouts etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest