The Student Room Group

What courses build a practical skill?

Which courses build certain practical skillsets rather than the usual essay writing and pure theory.

What I mean by a practical skill is something that is:
- useful wherever you go
- gains entry into a job because you have that skillset.
- teaches you about building or operating a complex system (business, machines, staff)
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
Which courses build certain practical skillsets rather than the usual essay writing and pure theory.

- useful wherever you go
- teaches you about building or operating a complex system (business, machines, staff)

I'd perhaps suggest apprenticeships or courses in areas such as joinery, plumbing, bricklaying, electrical training, etc.

In terms of operating a business/staff, I'd suggest a business management course.

- useful wherever you go

That's all a bit confused. Skills that are useful wherever you go are basically things like communication, common sense, good timekeeping and reliability. Those are life skills, you don't get them from a course, you get them from living an active, out-going life, saying yes to things and trying new activities.

Thereafter, there's no practical universal or general practical skill that 'gets you a job because you have that skill set' save for those life-skills mentioned above. If you want to be a bricklayer you have to have a specific set of skills you'd learn on a bricklaying course.

If you want to learn about engineering, machines etc then you have to do a relevant practical course either at College, as an apprentice, or for taster sessions, try local evening classes. Business and staff (usually called HR, Human Resources), then it can either be a course, or getting an admin job in a business/organisation and working your way up through internal training and development.
Original post by threeportdrift
That's all a bit confused. Skills that are useful wherever you go are basically things like communication, common sense, good timekeeping and reliability. Those are life skills, you don't get them from a course, you get them from living an active, out-going life, saying yes to things and trying new activities.

Thereafter, there's no practical universal or general practical skill that 'gets you a job because you have that skill set' save for those life-skills mentioned above. If you want to be a bricklayer you have to have a specific set of skills you'd learn on a bricklaying course.

If you want to learn about engineering, machines etc then you have to do a relevant practical course either at College, as an apprentice, or for taster sessions, try local evening classes. Business and staff (usually called HR, Human Resources), then it can either be a course, or getting an admin job in a business/organisation and working your way up through internal training and development.

I am considering an apprenticeship but am concerned about whether there is a glass ceiling if you don'tget a degree.
I am considering an apprenticeship but am concerned about whether there is a glass ceiling if you don'tget a degree.

There won't be if you are good enough.
Original post by threeportdrift
There won't be if you are good enough.

paraphrasing what you said earlier:
I can try vocational courses (engineering, veterinary, accounting) which help develop skills specific to that profession.
paraphrasing what you said earlier:
I can try vocational courses (engineering, veterinary, accounting) which help develop skills specific to that profession.

You may not have the entry qualifications, nor time, nor will the system support you trying all those in sequence. You probably have better entry level qualifications or experience or interest to pick one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending