The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter changing offer to Falmouth - what can we do?

My niece made the grade for her offer from Exeter, her first choice, got a confirmation from Exeter, which she accepted, and has now had an email to say she is being sent to Falmouth campus (100 miles from Exeter and 2.5 hours on the train). Her offer on UCAS has now been changed to Falmouth. She is devastated as she accepted an offer to Exeter. What can we do? It seems so unfair if she has to go into clearing when she made the grade for her first choice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends what course she is studying as to which campus she goes to , that's what i always assumed .
(edited 10 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Here is info about the campus, http://www.exeter.ac.uk/cornwall/index.html
Reply 3
Original post by Julesinos
What can we do?

Well, for starters, has she rung them up to ask what's happening?
I might be wrong but my understanding is they can only offer you a different course or campus if you fail to meet the grades. So if your niece applied for Exeter campus and got the grades in her offer she should be going to Exeter campus.
Reply 5
This is what the uni says about the Falmouth campus
The University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus, home to the country’s happiest students, combines Russell Group prestige and quality, small-campus intimacy and an environment unrivalled in the UK. Students here tell us they enjoy the easy access to world-class academics, the friendly atmosphere and all the benefits of recent, large-scale investments.
My niece made the grade for her offer from Exeter, her first choice, got a confirmation from Exeter, which she accepted, and has now had an email to say she is being sent to Falmouth campus (100 miles from Exeter and 2.5 hours on the train). Her offer on UCAS has now been changed to Falmouth. She is devastated as she accepted an offer to Exeter. What can we do? It seems so unfair if she has to go into clearing when she made the grade for her first choice.

Sounds very odd unless they have changed the location of the course she was doing and it is no longer based at Exeter.

I wouldn't be happy just to be moved like that! What course did she apply for?

What is she studying?
I only ask to see if you maybe made a mistake and the course is only offered on one campus.

Why would she have to go into clearing if she went there? The course is still the right course, so the location should be secondary (although I can understand being disappointed with going to a different campus than expected).
Note that the Cornwall campus is fully a part of the university, so she is being given what the university is obliged to give her. She should check that the course (title and selection of modules) that is being offered is the same as that for which she applied. It is entirely possible that her exact course is only offered in Cornwall and not at Exeter, in which case she needs to decide whether she cares more about the campus or the course.

If she finds that her exact course is still running in Exeter, or she would prefer to do something slightly different that is offered there, then she needs to get in touch with the admissions office. Probably they could find someone with an Exeter place willing to swap, although they cannot make a course run in Exeter that is not running there, nor magically create an extra place on a course that is full. In legal terms, so long as the course offered has the same UCAS code as the course she accepted, the university has met its obligations.
I suppose they are thinking of clearing as may not want to go to Cornwall and would be thinking of now applying elsewhere..

Cornwall may just be too far from home with transporting stuff etc - don't know where the OP lives coming from say Yorkshire where exeter takes long enough by car or train, it would be a trek too far to Falmouth (if not previuosly factored in).

Agreed just think there may be an error somewhere
Reply 10
PM me the details and I'll see what I can suggest. This does sound a bit odd.
Reply 11
Hmm this is strange but as others have said I can only imagine it being due to her course being moved to Falmouth or if there were 2 versions of the course (1 at each campus) and the Exeter one not being popular enough then her being moved to the other course?

Example at Durham they have Psychology on main campus and Applied Psychology on Stockton campus - it never happened whilst I was there but I imagine if one was not popular enough they'd move to the other course?

I hope your niece gets it all resolved :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Minerva
PM me the details and I'll see what I can suggest. This does sound a bit odd.

Hi Minerva, New here. Please tell me what PM means and how I do it.

Thanks guys for comments and support. I think we can all accept there IS a considerable difference between going to a University town with 120 000+ inhabitants which you have chosen and going to a 21 000 population place which is 100 miles from the main of the University population, student societies etc. The experience is not the same. The course offered was offered at Exeter, not exclusively at Falmouth, else she wouldn't have applied. Exeter may be fulfilling their 'legal' obligations, at a push, but it sounds to me suspiciously like a University trying to move unsuspecting students from the main campus to a secondary campus to fill unpopular places, but not going about it openly. With A*BB she could have gone to any of the 5 original universities she applied to.

After 4 days of euphoria, with a place confirmed at Exeter since Thursday, she is shocked and upset. She's going into school this am to get advice and I've suggested a senior teacher rings the University for her as she's so upset. This is an A*BB student. Mind you, Exeter's loss if they don't sort it out!
Reply 13
Please tell me what PM means and how I do it.

She means send her a private message - if you click on her username above her post, you'll see an option to 'Send a private message to Minerva'.
Reply 14
Hi Minerva, New here. Please tell me what PM means and how I do it.

Thanks guys for comments and support. I think we can all accept there IS a considerable difference between going to a University town with 120 000+ inhabitants which you have chosen and going to a 21 000 population place which is 100 miles from the main of the University population, student societies etc. The experience is not the same. The course offered was offered at Exeter, not exclusively at Falmouth, else she wouldn't have applied. Exeter may be fulfilling their 'legal' obligations, at a push, but it sounds to me suspiciously like a University trying to move unsuspecting students from the main campus to a secondary campus to fill unpopular places, but not going about it openly. With A*BB she could have gone to any of the 5 original universities she applied to.

After 4 days of euphoria, with a place confirmed at Exeter since Thursday, she is shocked and upset. She's going into school this am to get advice and I've suggested a senior teacher rings the University for her as she's so upset. This is an A*BB student. Mind you, Exeter's loss if they don't sort it out!
Send me a private message - if you click on my username on this post, you should see this option -

PS - as to your analysis of what's happening, you may be right.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
It does depend on the course - there are some courses which Exeter shares jointly with Falmouth University - I believe Medicine is one of these courses, but someone feel free to correct me. So you do one year at Falmouth, one year at Exeter, and then back again.

If she is adamant that she is not on a course similar to this, then she needs to check where she applied - Exeter has 3 campuses. St Lukes, Exeter. Streatham, Exeter. and Penryn, Cornwall. She may have applied to the Cornwall campus without realising, since I believe it has lower entry requirements in general - I almost did this myself. This is STILL Exeter University, but obviously not in the city of Exeter, so she will graduate with an University of Exeter degree.

Leading on from this - her accommodation offer may be made by Falmouth University if she's in Penryn - the two universities share accommodation - so this may be some of what you're getting confused about.

If its neither of these things, and to be honest, even if this is the case, ring up - if she did apply to the Cornwall campus, and has the grades, she may be able to transfer to the Exeter campuses if that is what she wants, or at least find out what is going on.

I hope this resolves itself, and that you'll keep us updated on any developments!

The course offered was offered at Exeter, not exclusively at Falmouth,

You really need to tell us the course if we are to properly advise
Reply 17
It would be quite helpful to know exactly what her offer conditions were, too.
Reply 18
When she applied for the course via UCAS there were tick boxes for Exeter campus/Falmouth campus/either. She chose Exeter only because she had been to Falmouth to visit and didn't want to go there. Her offer letter was for the University of Exeter (no mention of Falmouth).

When she got results, she was confirmed a place at 'University of Exeter' (no mention of Falmouth). She accepted. She has then, a few days later got a confirmation letter which says she will *only* be accepted at Falmouth. This is the first mention of Falmouth. Exeter appear not to be in clearing so the Admissions Office is not open at the weekend. So she can't even talk to them, get released from Exeter and go into clearing. This strikes me as disgraceful all round.
Reply 19
Sorry, course is Politics and International Relations. I don't know code and she has now had to leave home for work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending