The Student Room Group

DSA Laptop Upgrade?

I'm having a hard time choosing a laptop. I am in receipt of DSA, so this one would come for free -

Acer Travelmate P253-M
Laptop Core i3-2348M 2.3GHz
15.6" HD 2.6KG
4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD
DVD-RW, WLAN, 3 x USB
WCAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000
W8 64 bit 6 Cell Battery

However I have been given the option to upgrade to this one, for £130 -

Sony VAIO SVF1521J1EW White
Laptop Core i3-3227U 1.9Ghz
15.5" 2.6Kg
4GB 750GB HDD DVDRW
B/T Wcam W/LAN 4 USB
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Windows 8

I only use my laptop for surfing the net, writing essays, watching movies, scanning, pdf's (general studenty things) and it won't be moved a lot at all. Is it worth upgrading? Is the first one sufficient? I don't want to spent £130 if I don't have to but if the second one will be substantially faster and last substantially longer, I think it's worth it. What should I do?
Reply 1
The Acer is a good all-round basic laptop and would probably be ideal for the needs you've described.

The Sony is slightly more powerful with a bigger hard drive and additional USB port, but in terms of performance you may not find the difference makes that much difference to you. I've also heard some people have issues with poor viewing angles on the screen and a short battery life.

If you can, try both out before putting any money down but from what you've said I would stick with the free Acer laptop.
Reply 2
Original post by Kari94
I'm having a hard time choosing a laptop. I am in receipt of DSA, so this one would come for free -

Acer Travelmate P253-M
Laptop Core i3-2348M 2.3GHz
15.6" HD 2.6KG
4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD
DVD-RW, WLAN, 3 x USB
WCAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000
W8 64 bit 6 Cell Battery

However I have been given the option to upgrade to this one, for £130 -

Sony VAIO SVF1521J1EW White
Laptop Core i3-3227U 1.9Ghz
15.5" 2.6Kg
4GB 750GB HDD DVDRW
B/T Wcam W/LAN 4 USB
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Windows 8

I only use my laptop for surfing the net, writing essays, watching movies, scanning, pdf's (general studenty things) and it won't be moved a lot at all. Is it worth upgrading? Is the first one sufficient? I don't want to spent £130 if I don't have to but if the second one will be substantially faster and last substantially longer, I think it's worth it. What should I do?

Well I would go for the Sony, because its far more reliable and I expect better battery life.

I would ignore the pc world rep's advice :lolwut:
The Sony is actually not more powerful, in fact slightly weaker it has a ultrabook cpu "u" rather then the standard laptop one "m".
Generally speaking, Acer is in the bottom end of reliability..........whereas the Sony isn't and the fact it utilises a ultrabook cpu means quite power efficient and looking up, up to about 5 hours battery life.

Other things to note is that the Sony cpu is a 3rd gen cpu rather then a 2nd gen on the Acer, meaning slightly improved processing, and integrated graphics is significantly different to the old one with a HD4000.

Do they not have other options?
Reply 3
Original post by Iqbal007
Well I would go for the Sony, because its far more reliable and I expect better battery life.

I would ignore the pc world rep's advice :lolwut:
The Sony is actually not more powerful, in fact slightly weaker it has a ultrabook cpu "u" rather then the standard laptop one "m".
Generally speaking, Acer is in the bottom end of reliability..........whereas the Sony isn't and the fact it utilises a ultrabook cpu means quite power efficient and looking up, up to about 5 hours battery life.

Other things to note is that the Sony cpu is a 3rd gen cpu rather then a 2nd gen on the Acer, meaning slightly improved processing, and integrated graphics is significantly different to the old one with a HD4000.

Do they not have other options?

No, not really. Not unless I want to spend a lot more. The thing is, that I'm not meant to move it outside of my house anyway (my disability is of the mobility type) so the battery life doesn't matter. Would the processing difference translate into a major difference in speed? Also, the reliability...it would be good if it never had any issues but if it does I'm completely covered by DSA, who have people come to my house to fix it. Do graphics make a difference to movies? Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Paul Bird - Currys PC World Rep
The Acer is a good all-round basic laptop and would probably be ideal for the needs you've described.

The Sony is slightly more powerful with a bigger hard drive and additional USB port, but in terms of performance you may not find the difference makes that much difference to you. I've also heard some people have issues with poor viewing angles on the screen and a short battery life.

If you can, try both out before putting any money down but from what you've said I would stick with the free Acer laptop.

Thank you! That is what I thought. I don't want to spend and extra 130 pounds if I don't have to. I'll go with the free one. Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Kari94
No, not really. Not unless I want to spend a lot more. The thing is, that I'm not meant to move it outside of my house anyway (my disability is of the mobility type) so the battery life doesn't matter. Would the processing difference translate into a major difference in speed? Also, the reliability...it would be good if it never had any issues but if it does I'm completely covered by DSA, who have people come to my house to fix it. Do graphics make a difference to movies? Thanks!

The difference is quite minimal to be fair.....................not at all only if you plan on gaming, when it comes to watching stuff on the screen then its down to the resolution of the screen and quality.
If its covered by DSA then your fine.
Reply 6
I've seen a lot of bad reviews for Sony Vaios in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending