The Student Room Group

Do girls "prefer guys with cars" ?

Hi! I'm 20.

I work - it's only a 25 minute walk to work, and I go to a local University. I get there by the local bus which costs £17 for a weekly pass. It's not the best bus route... it's always a single decker which gets quite packed with everyone going home from work etc but it gets me from A to B.

As for work, I'm happy walking. If it was pouring with rain, I could always get a 15 minute bus journey there.

I've saved up a lot recently from loads of overtime and was chatting about getting a new camera. My Mum suggested me getting a new car instead. I said at the moment, I didn't need one, and once you learn to drive and get a car, you have to pay insurance, tax, MOT, petrol...

She then started going on and saying "well you'll never get a girlfriend then. Girls like men with cars".

Thing is, I don't need a car just yet. If I get into doing photography as a job in the future, I will get one, but at the moment, it'll just be a waste of money.

I've never had a girlfriend, but surely if you get a girlfriend they should like you for you. Not like you for what you have.

Is what my Mum was saying true or not? I hate being lonely and it's kinda put me down a bit.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They would prefer it if you had one, yeah.
Reply 2
I'll be honest, I'm glad my boyfriend has a car - he's helping me learn to drive now, and it gives a bit of freedom and independence... plus, around here, very few people take the bus, so there's a very certain type of people who get the bus everywhere with the exception of people too young to drive or still learning, and it's not the type I'd be interested in a relationship with.
Reply 3
Original post by madders94
I'll be honest, I'm glad my boyfriend has a car - he's helping me learn to drive now, and it gives a bit of freedom and independence... plus, around here, very few people take the bus, so there's a very certain type of people who get the bus everywhere with the exception of people too young to drive or still learning, and it's not the type I'd be interested in a relationship with.

Ooooohhhhhhh. :eek:

And this from a community assistant on this forum too? Shocking behavior.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would say I prefer a man with a car. Before when I was younger, it didn't bother me too much, but I'm 22 and usually date guys who are 22-28 or so. Pretty much all of them have cars (partially because the public transport in my area is awful).

I like the fact that they can come pick me up from my house, to go out somewhere. Depending on where we are going and how far the drive is, I also meet them there, as I drive also.

There was one guy I dated who didn't have a car, which made meeting up with him very difficult as he could only get to a limited amount of places and sometimes cancelled on me cause it was raining :dry:. I wouldn't mind helping and picking him up from his house, but it's not really how the masculine role works; him sitting at home waiting for me to pick him up and drop him back?!

Also not being able to stay out too late because of the last train home or unable to meet on the weekend because half the tube lines have engineering works going on, it doesn't really show the independence that I'm looking for. As I have a car, I'm past the days of "my bus was late" or "I'll ask my mum to pick me up", it's really not a turn on for me.
Reply 5
i failed my driving test 12 times. Nearly killed someone on the road as well.. I still get women - most women i date drive anyway and they don't see an issue at all..
Reply 6
Original post by bavmysta
i failed my driving test 12 times. Nearly killed someone on the road as well.. I still get women - most women i date drive anyway and they don't see an issue at all..

I'd advise you stay of the road if you're serious.
I genuinely don't care whether a guy has a car or not, because as you rightly say a girl should like you for you and not what you have. I have my own car anyway.
Reply 8
Also, if you can't drive or don't have a car. They'll probably see you as a boy, not a man.
Reply 9
Hmmm they may not think they prefer guys with cars as its 'material' but truth is its just a bit embarassing to get lifts off parents to dates etc. If she drives/has a car then it won't be an issue but if neither of you have a car then the relationship is unlikely to last... as you need to do things other than sit on a couch and well... to do things you need to get places...
Reply 10
Original post by madders94

Lucky for you your boyfriend didn't feel the same eh?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by aranexus

haha.

It's astounding how many snobby people are out there.
Reply 12
Can't you get both a car and a camera?
Reply 13
Doesn't that member go to Glywndr Uni as well? Hardly in a position to look down on people? Oh well, I'm sure she'll grow up one day and see everyone as equal.
Original post by scott the journo
Hi! I'm 20.

I work - it's only a 25 minute walk to work, and I go to a local University. I get there by the local bus which costs £17 for a weekly pass. It's not the best bus route... it's always a single decker which gets quite packed with everyone going home from work etc but it gets me from A to B.

As for work, I'm happy walking. If it was pouring with rain, I could always get a 15 minute bus journey there.

I've saved up a lot recently from loads of overtime and was chatting about getting a new camera. My Mum suggested me getting a new car instead. I said at the moment, I didn't need one, and once you learn to drive and get a car, you have to pay insurance, tax, MOT, petrol...

She then started going on and saying "well you'll never get a girlfriend then. Girls like men with cars".

Thing is, I don't need a car just yet. If I get into doing photography as a job in the future, I will get one, but at the moment, it'll just be a waste of money.

I've never had a girlfriend, but surely if you get a girlfriend they should like you for you. Not like you for what you have.

Is what my Mum was saying true or not? I hate being lonely and it's kinda put me down a bit.

Cheers

Hiya
my boyfriend doesn't drive hes 23 and im 17. I am currently learning to drive so haven't passed yet. Tbh I would love it if he drove. You don't want to have to get a taxi if your going out for a meal with your girlfriend as its costly and you don't have the freedom to go anywhere, neither do you want to get a bus if your going on a romantic date together and you would always have to check times and couldn't be out late. I have a phobia of public transport so if we do go out with usually get a taxi which im not keen on either so more times than not instead of going to the cinema we will just rent a movie and stay in. Having a car means a lot more freedom and truthfully i think it helps a relationship massively. My boyfriend doesn't have one and im fine with that although id prefer he did i will have a licence soon and have the ability to take us both places so we will be able to go out more. he doesn't drive because he has taken lessons but doesn't feel ready to drive yet, he says even if he managed to pass he wouldn't feel confident enough driving alone and wouldn't feel safe. Anyway he finished uni last year and has a career to be getting on with. Most guys your age that drive usually work and haven't got degrees so there able to finance a car. In my opinion id rather have a guy that was working towards a good career than one in a low paid job with a car. When your older you will have a car and you will be able to finance a good car not just a rubbish cheap second hand one.
Reply 15
Original post by Oxford2013
I'd advise you stay of the road if you're serious.

I am and never touched a car since..

As I said, with the exception of those too young/still learning to drive :tongue:
Ooooohhhhhhh. :eek:

And this from a community assistant on this forum too? Shocking behavior.

Yes, because I have clearly broken forum rules with my post... :lolwut:

Doesn't that member go to Glywndr Uni as well? Hardly in a position to look down on people? Oh well, I'm sure she'll grow up one day and see everyone as equal.

You two are so cute :h:

Everyone is equal, doesn't mean I want to go out with everyone :lolwut: people who go on the bus all the time around here tend to sit around and throw stuff at students, swear loudly and try and smoke on the bus. Forgive me for not wanting a relationship with them.

The very notion of me being snobby is hilarious, you have no idea who I am :laugh:
It's nice because it makes things easier, but it's not really an issue.

Latest