The Student Room Group

Graduate: new to job hunting and career advice...Need help!

Hi! I've recently completed uni with a Criminology degree and I know I want to work in immigration but I'm also leaning towards a career in teaching (primary). I have had retail experience, I was a student ambassador for my uni and have worked now and again for my father's business in an admin role.

My situation at the moment is that I'm looking for a job that is related to my degree (as are most graduates) and I've applied for an Assistant Immigration Officer position earlier this month and received a email last week saying due to the high number of applications they received there is a delay in giving everyone an answer to their application. I have also applied for other roles relating to my degree but it is too early for me to say where I stand with these applications.

Now I also applied for an admin position that was advertised in CV-Library that was posted by an agency for their client. I have had a response back from them and have had a telephone interview for the agency and have been called for an interview with them (the agency) next week.

This interview is not for the client but for the agency and consists of a numeracy and literacy test. If I pass the test and are satisfied with me during the interview, they will then refer me to their client who will also interview me. This job is only 12 weeks and in the first 3 weeks they need complete commitment as they will be training me for the position and I am not allowed to take a day off. I'm not keen on this job as this has nothing to do with what I want to do but it will give me experience in an admin role.

My questions are...
- Should I go for this admin position role?
- If i get an interview for a permanent job role should I do it, as I may be doing that job in admin (if i get it)? Remember, there is a 3 week commitment where I cannot take a day off.
- OR should I scrap all this and do some voluntary work in a school and pursue a career in teaching? Which is very appealing to me.

Thank you in advance. Sorry if I've written too much, I appreciate you taking the time to look! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending