The Student Room Group

Being made redundant, what should I do

I was told 2 weeks ago that my job role is being made redundant, the company that I work for is now under new ownership who are making cuts across the entire business.

As of last week I am in the 30 day consultation stage of my redundancy, the company has said they are looking for alternative employment for me in within another department in order to avoid redundancy completely but I'm not so hopeful. And I also have doubts about staying in the business if the ownership is keen on making cuts across the entire business.

There are others in my team who are at risk but for them they are just reducing the numbers, it's different for me as they're looking to completely get rid of my job role which means I'm not even eligible for voluntary redundancy.

My background is that I am a computer Science Graduate and have been working at this company for 5 years as a business analyst/administrator. I also have experience in Web development and I'm looking to sharpen my coding skills and learn new skills such as python programming.

I have been applying for other jobs since I've been told of my redundancy but haven't had any responses so far.

I'm really anxious as I don't know what to do next, I was considering freelancing but wouldn't know where to start! But at the same time I would like to immediately have an income after redundancy due to bills etc. I'm really anxious about my situation, what can I do?
Reply 1
Not much you can do other then apply for other jobs and do online courses to upskill yourself. I would suggest asking Chat GPT for redundancy advice its very wise and has helped many people.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Fazersa
I was told 2 weeks ago that my job role is being made redundant, the company that I work for is now under new ownership who are making cuts across the entire business.

As of last week I am in the 30 day consultation stage of my redundancy, the company has said they are looking for alternative employment for me in within another department in order to avoid redundancy completely but I'm not so hopeful. And I also have doubts about staying in the business if the ownership is keen on making cuts across the entire business.

There are others in my team who are at risk but for them they are just reducing the numbers, it's different for me as they're looking to completely get rid of my job role which means I'm not even eligible for voluntary redundancy.

My background is that I am a computer Science Graduate and have been working at this company for 5 years as a business analyst/administrator. I also have experience in Web development and I'm looking to sharpen my coding skills and learn new skills such as python programming.

I have been applying for other jobs since I've been told of my redundancy but haven't had any responses so far.

I'm really anxious as I don't know what to do next, I was considering freelancing but wouldn't know where to start! But at the same time I would like to immediately have an income after redundancy due to bills etc. I'm really anxious about my situation, what can I do?

First of all, listen carefully to all the advice they offer. Understanding your options is very important, so join everything they offer and listen carefully.

Usually the best thing to do in these circumstances is accept any alternate role they offer you. You will have a set amount of time 3-6 weeks, to decide if the new role is for you. If not, you can still accept the redundancy package, but in the meantime you will have earned yourself more pay and had more time to job hunt.
Original post by threeportdrift
First of all, listen carefully to all the advice they offer. Understanding your options is very important, so join everything they offer and listen carefully.

Usually the best thing to do in these circumstances is accept any alternate role they offer you. You will have a set amount of time 3-6 weeks, to decide if the new role is for you. If not, you can still accept the redundancy package, but in the meantime you will have earned yourself more pay and had more time to job hunt.

I agree.
And in the meantime, until they let you know if there will be any other roles they can offer you, id keep applying for jobs.
Original post by Fazersa

Sorry to hear this, I've been through this myself and it's not nice and very stressful. Ultimately there isn't much you can do other than to keep looking for employment, whether this be in a new role in your current company or with a different organisation. As others have said, follow the process closely (there might be regular consultation meetings with company reps etc., who may also be able to assist with the process and advise you on your options), and keep applying for jobs outside your current company unless you get a different role confirmed with them. And even then, a new role might lead to an increase in salary/benefits.
Reply 5
Original post by Fazersa

Are you in a union?
Reply 6
Original post by Fazersa

I think best thing to do about anciety is take control of your career. You are anxious because you might loose your job and might this or might that. Be direct and proactive to ease that anxiety.

Look for another job with same roles
Educate your self further to specialize or gain new skills to diversify what job you can do. This can help navigate transitions outside the company you are at now.
Unionize. Sure why not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending