The Student Room Group

student finance appeal extenuating circumstances

hello,
i have never posted on here before, but would be most grateful of some advice.

In 2011/12 i started a BSc Bio-medical science with a foundation yr at RHUL, in April 2012 it was identified that i had specific learning disability's (motor dysgraphia, ADD/Dyspraxia) which had become apparent over the course of the year, unfortunately it was too late in the year to put in place strategies to fully counteract the educational drawbacks and i did not receive the required grades to progress to the full degree program at that time. I was informed at the time that i could repeat the year by both student finance and RHUL, which i did, and i now have passed and should be progressing onto the full degree program next year, and SFE and the SLC approved my grant for 2012/13 as well as a disability grant being awarded.
SFE fund 3 + 1 yrs of funding, my course is already 4 yrs in total, this yr they have withdrawn my tuition fees and grants and will only provide a maintenance loan, i have not applied for disability support yet.
i believe this has happened for a number of reasons. firstly we were given options by RHUL to change degree pathway, after repeating the SFY i switched to Medical biochemistry from Bio-medical science, in correspondence from SFE it seems they think i left one course and started another. Secondly i believe they are unaware of my circumstances regarding the repeat year even though i have repeatedly stated to the advisers on the phone this is the case.

1) how do i appeal this citing my circumstances, is there a way i can rectify this?

2) as i have not left any course and completed each year as stated above and why is this not being recognized, and does it not show on my SFE records that one yr i was not given a disabled grant and the next yr i received one?

3) is this actually a valid case for appeal?

i really would like to continue studying and worked hard (as we all do) to earn my place on that course, any advice would be appreciated
Original post by arthurkinnel
hello,
i have never posted on here before, but would be most grateful of some advice.

In 2011/12 i started a BSc Bio-medical science with a foundation yr at RHUL, in April 2012 it was identified that i had specific learning disability's (motor dysgraphia, ADD/Dyspraxia) which had become apparent over the course of the year, unfortunately it was too late in the year to put in place strategies to fully counteract the educational drawbacks and i did not receive the required grades to progress to the full degree program at that time. I was informed at the time that i could repeat the year by both student finance and RHUL, which i did, and i now have passed and should be progressing onto the full degree program next year, and SFE and the SLC approved my grant for 2012/13 as well as a disability grant being awarded.
SFE fund 3 + 1 yrs of funding, my course is already 4 yrs in total, this yr they have withdrawn my tuition fees and grants and will only provide a maintenance loan, i have not applied for disability support yet.
i believe this has happened for a number of reasons. firstly we were given options by RHUL to change degree pathway, after repeating the SFY i switched to Medical biochemistry from Bio-medical science, in correspondence from SFE it seems they think i left one course and started another. Secondly i believe they are unaware of my circumstances regarding the repeat year even though i have repeatedly stated to the advisers on the phone this is the case.

1) how do i appeal this citing my circumstances, is there a way i can rectify this?

2) as i have not left any course and completed each year as stated above and why is this not being recognized, and does it not show on my SFE records that one yr i was not given a disabled grant and the next yr i received one?

3) is this actually a valid case for appeal?

i really would like to continue studying and worked hard (as we all do) to earn my place on that course, any advice would be appreciated

Send a letter to SFE stating (as basic as you can) that you started a course in 2011/2012 at RHUL doing whatever course. Explain that you were diagnosed with a medical condition that affects your ability to study in April 2012, and that it was *apparently* too late to put things in to place for you (you'll probably need to state who said this).

You will need to provide evidence such as a letter from a professional, or a report detailing your conditions. It would also be very helpful if you could supply a letter from the medical professional or something stating that you have had the effects for a long time, yet was only diagnosed in April, and that due to the lack of support, you failed your exams.

SFE should then give you a year of funding back.

Make sure you don't waffle on about nothing in your letter. You need to be precise and concise. Straight to the point, but in a polite way.
Reply 2
What is it you're appealing? How many years have you studied for? I think I've read it as 2?
Thank you both for your reply's,
yes i have reports to state/back this up, and basically i am appealing the decision to withdraw the tuition fee loans and get a year back as it were, and also as the university offered the option to change degree discipline, the way which they (SFE) have taken it i have changed course without completing the foundation program first time round, in the process of writing the letter now and found the appeal form after a bit of clicking around
also yes 2 years
Original post by arthurkinnel
Thank you both for your reply's,
yes i have reports to state/back this up, and basically i am appealing the decision to withdraw the tuition fee loans and get a year back as it were, and also as the university offered the option to change degree discipline, the way which they (SFE) have taken it i have changed course without completing the foundation program first time round, in the process of writing the letter now and found the appeal form after a bit of clicking around

You studied for two years, so you would lose two years of funding when you go to on to a new course. Which would mean that you would only be funded for your second and third years.

You don't want to 'appeal' as there is nothing to 'appeal'. You want to write the letter stating that you are applying for Compelling Personal Reasons.
ahh i see, understood, thank you for the further advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending