The Student Room Group

Dreading University.

Okay so I'm meant to be moving to University in 4 weeks. At first I was looking forward to it, but now I think everything has just dawned on me and I'm actually dreading it. :frown:

My whole mindset has just turned negative towards University because of a number of factors. Some of these factors include the following:

-Understanding the work
-Managing work, revision, coursework.
-Getting used to Halls of Residence
-Meeting people.
-Making friends (something I've always found difficult)

I'm really thinking about not going and just leaving, but then I know that would be stupid. The main reason I'm stressing and dreading Uni so much is because I want to do well, and I don't really have any control over the situation. My life is changing so quickly in just a matter of a few weeks. Help!!
Reply 1
Original post by Educate95
Okay so I'm meant to be moving to University in 4 weeks. At first I was looking forward to it, but now I think everything has just dawned on me and I'm actually dreading it. :frown:

My whole mindset has just turned negative towards University because of a number of factors. Some of these factors include the following:

-Understanding the work
-Meeting people.

I'm really thinking about not going and just leaving, but then I know that would be stupid. The main reason I'm stressing and dreading Uni so much is because I want to do well, and I don't really have any control over the situation. My life is changing so quickly in just a matter of a few weeks. Help!!

The best thing to do is not stress!! I'm starting uni in September aswell and I am ****ting myself! But I know that there are plenty of other people feeling the same way.

The best thing to do is stay positive. Read up on your course, see what you need to know before you start so that you have a good mind set when going into your first lecture.

Don't worry about the work load, you'll have plenty of people to help you, like your tutors, lecturers, postgraduate students etc. check up on different ways to study. I've been doing that and I find that it helps.

Meeting people and making new friends does sound difficult but I bet you it will be 100% fine. It's just your nerves kicking in. If this helps, I've been going onto lots of forums and checking out different threads about freshers and seeing others opinions, and to my surprise, there is a lot of other people as scared us you and I. Just stay calm and you'll be fine. Honest :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

-Understanding the work
-Meeting people.

Hey!

I'm moving into my 2nd year in September and to be honest the way your feeling is similar to a lot of people. Remember that everyone is in the same boat so don't worry about not being able to make friends. For me it was pretty easy to settle into Halls of Residence because I loved the idea of freedom. You'll soon realise how fun and exciting it is and you'll soon become friends with your flatmates!

Generally in 1st year the work load is not a lot so don't panic too much about the work being too much or too hard. If you need help then you can always speak to your lecturers or tutors who will be more than happy to help you. Remember although it's uni it doesn't mean that there will be no one to help you!

It may ease your mind a bit if you join your Uni's Facebook pages and maybe look for your flatmates so that you can meet them pre move in date. Remember don't worry and just have a good time! Uni is such a great experience for loads of reasons.

Good Luck! Feel free to contact me if you want to ask anything or whatever :smile:
everyone is in the same boat...if the degree is what you really want to do then go for it! Nerves are completely normal , we are all having them. Anyone who says they dont have an ounce hit of nerves about starting uni is probably lying or just ridiculously confident and think they can alreadly plan how it will be and they will be the popular one in the first hour they arrive...ha!
dont worry tho...some people dont get the chance or opportunity to go to uni...we should take this opportunity we have and embrace it to the max!

-Understanding the work
-Meeting people.

Please try not to stress.

You got the entry requirements for the course, so this suggests you're capable of doing the work. If you are struggling with a particular area, there will be help available, but you have to seak it out, e.g. by emailing the lecturer and aranging to meet them to discuss your issues.

Time management can be an issue for some people at first, but unis are not setting you up to fail. In your first year, the workload should be very managable. Try to start all assignments as soon as you get them, so if you are having problems you can get help asap. Try and do a bit each day in small bursts, rather than leaving everything to the last minute.

With halls, meeting new people and making friends, just try to remember everyone's in the same boat. People will be keen to make friends, so be chatty and approachable and say yes to doing things. Try to treat your flatmates as you'd like to be treated and be considerate towards them. Join societies for your interests- this gives you the chance to meet people you already have something in common with.

Your worries are really common ones, and chances are everyone you meet will be feeling the same way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending