The Student Room Group

UC and Maintenance Loan

Hi all,
I am about to start a BSc in Physiotherapy at Bournemouth Uni this September. I have not applied for a maintenance loan yet, sort of keeping it in the back burner till I see clearer. I also have a joint claim for Universal Credit with my partner, we live together and have a 5 year old. I wanted to ask to the more mature students in the audience what was your uni-work balance in the first year like? I know things will get more intensive in the 2nd and 3d year (placement included) but as I was already dreading the whole student's loan deal per se I keep debating whether it's worth it to add the maintenance loan on top. I don't know how much temporary work I will be able to schedule around the uni timetable in the first year (I will keep on working as a bank staff at the local hospital) but I was mostly trying to understand how UC works with the maintenance loan. I understand it is means tested, so whatever I get as loan will be deducted from UC, but it looks like they will account it even if I don't take it. They don't seem very communicative around this matter at the DWP, so I am wondering if someone has had experience with this? Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending