The Student Room Group

Self-teaching an AS Level

I’ve posted on TSR about this before, but my post didn’t get any responses, so I’m asking again.

I’m considering self-teaching an AS Level in World Development alongside my 3 A2s in Government and Politics, Geography and Economics. I achieved AAC at AS Level and I’m planning to study Geography at university. My teachers gave me a rough idea of my A2 predictions at the end of last year, they reckon it’ll be A*AA, or A*A*A.

With these predicted grades, I could meet the entry requirements at many Russell Group universities, but can’t help but think that I’d be at a disadvantage with only 3 AS subjects as opposed to the usual 4.

My school don’t teach WJEC AS World Development, but they use the exam board for other subjects. It’s considered as a subject to only take as a 4th AS Level, and the case studies included within it crossover with the ones I’ve covered in Geography, so it shouldn’t be too time-consuming.

So, how do you go about asking your school if you can self-teach an AS Level? I’ve written a statement to hand to my Head of Sixth Form and Head of Geography, but I’m not entirely sure how they’ll take it.

Any advice is much appreciated! (will give you positive ratings too)
Reply 1
Get the books for the subject and learn it :P The only person who needs to know is the exam coordinator as they are the one who will enter you for the exam. Just make sure they know and they are ok with it and then you can self teach :smile: It is good to talk to the head of sixth form though just to make sure its ok
Reply 2
Original post by Munrot07
Get the books for the subject and learn it :P The only person who needs to know is the exam coordinator as they are the one who will enter you for the exam. Just make sure they know and they are ok with it and then you can self teach :smile: It is good to talk to the head of sixth form though just to make sure its ok

Thanks for your help! I didn't realise it was quite as easy as that, haha.

There's a coursework element but it's very small, so I'd need a teacher to mark that, but I'm willing to pay for overtime and whatever, and to get it done before December so it's not too big a burden on their workload.

I'll talk to the exam coordinator when I get back to school, thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest