The Student Room Group

Do I need a TV licence for Netflix, BBC I player and Sky Go?

So I'm not sure if I will need one
I won't be taking a tv, only my mac, phone and ipad.
I never really watch live tv, so I won't be watching tv on player too.
And in regard to sky go, my parents have sky, haven't used sky to yet, but thinking I may give it a go, I believe it's all demand and catchup?
I'm not looking to get any free view, or anything either.
Thank you do any help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as it isn't live TV, no you do not.
Reply 2
Nope won't ever be watching live, I just like having stuff on in the background.
My uni said they have regular tv licence checks... Do you know how that's done?
Like how do I prove I'm only watching old stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Nehal:)
Nope won't ever be watching live, I just like having stuff on in the background.
My uni said they have regular tv licence checks... Do you know how that's done?
Like how do I prove I'm only watching old stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For one there wont be a Ariel in the back of the tv, most of them won't even check anything other than that. However as said you can refuse them access, for the checks they may knock on the door and ask to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You can watch Live TV on Sky Go. In terms of a TV licence, you're covered by your parents' if you're not plugged into the mains. On Demand stuff and Netflix, you're fine, but if you ever want to watch something on Sky that's live (Football, F1, whatever) just make sure your iPad isn't plugged in and you're fine :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're not watching live TV, you don't need a TV license. If you start receiving threatening letters from the licensing companies simply ignore them, you are acting well within the law not paying your license fee providing you're not watching live TV. BBC iPlayer and other on-demand TV such as Netflix is fine to use. If you get a knock at the door asking to come in so they can check if you're watching TV just refuse to let them in, they have no right to enter your property without permission.
Reply 6
How about watching live tv or streaming tv and watching it on your laptop? I will be living out, and I want to watch live tv, live football through Sky Go or streaming sites through my Mac. Do I still need a TV license?
Reply 7
Original post by adli93
How about watching live tv or streaming tv and watching it on your laptop? I will be living out, and I want to watch live tv, live football through Sky Go or streaming sites through my Mac. Do I still need a TV license?

As long as you're not plugged into the mains then you're covered by your parents TV licence, but if you're plugged in, then you need a TV licence. I don't know how that works based on a Ethernet cable vs. wireless internet, like I don't know if that makes a difference...
Reply 8
Original post by LouiseOrd
As long as you're not plugged into the mains then you're covered by your parents TV licence, but if you're plugged in, then you need a TV licence. I don't know how that works based on a Ethernet cable vs. wireless internet, like I don't know if that makes a difference...

Where are you getting this nonsense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by law2phil

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your parents' TV Licence will not cover you while you are away at university unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries. You must not plug it into the mains when using it to receive TV.

SOURCE: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/
Original post by law2phil

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's hardly nonsense if the TV licensing company says so themselves...

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/

Your parents' TV Licence will not cover you while you are away at university unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries. You must not plug it into the mains when using it to receive TV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending