The Student Room Group

Is critical thinking worth it?

I'm doing 3 sciences, history and critical thinking for my AS. Although I wont have any lessons for general studies, my school are forcing me to do the exams for it.
If i drop crit. thinking, ill get general studies lessons, more frees, and generally less of a workload. But it is, of course, another A level, and since i want to do medicine, i'll need every edge i can get.
so should i drop critical thinking, or keep it on?
Reply 1
It is pretty useless, though if you can drop General Studies instead, I'd do that. You don't need either and I really don't understand why schools make pupils do either. Unless your school teaches those subjects really well (I doubt it very much), you should probably drop both and do some work experience instead.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I would recommend dropping critical thinking. You would benefit more by having more time to dedicate to your other 4 AS subjects, and getting good grades in those, rather than a pointless subject that no medical school even acknowledges (excpet Barts, for the UCAS tariff part of their admissions procedure). I spent the majority of my critical lessons thinking about how I could've been using that hour in much more productive ways...
Alot of universities do not care for critical thinking and general studies a levels especially for medicine, its not really worth it, but again its really down what university you want to go to, Some universities also don't care for your fourth A-level but it is good to have it, as some uni want an extra AS level. I would say focus on your sciences and history because they are what will matter the most,academically.
Reply 4
Well, I just finished it and it was two afterschools a week and I got an A. Now, though, I wouldn't because I would rather use the time to revise/volunteer, etc, as it is your AS year. I say drop.

Quick Reply

Latest