The Student Room Group

University sandwich placement year, 3 months in hate it should I quit?

I am currently on my placement year as part of my business studies degree, I absolutely hate the placement and the company, my team is awful and expect me know how to do everything and seem to get annoyed every time I ask for help; either that or they go into way to much detail over explaining it and patronising me.

They are also terrible at passing work to me - I have to go out and ask for it but as a subordinate I believe it is their duty to pass work onto me - I shouldn't have to ask for it. When I do ask for work they pass loads onto me so its not as though there isn't any work for me - they just don't seem to pass it on!

One of the student placements has already quit and is returning to uni.

Another situation has come to light in that all of my housemates this year plan to move in with their boyfriends for their final years - leaving me with no one but strangers to live with in my final year. I also know I have people and friends to go to my lectures with if I go back to uni this year, but if I continue on my placement I will be going to lectures alone. I think the next 2 years for me will be incredibly lonely and it has already been made me very low.

However is quitting my placement acceptable? I have only done 3 months and I'm not sure how good this will look on my cv? I also don't particularly want to let my boss down.

HELP
Reply 1
Original post by vicky257
I am currently on my placement year as part of my business studies degree, I absolutely hate the placement and the company, my team is awful and expect me know how to do everything and seem to get annoyed every time I ask for help; either that or they go into way to much detail over explaining it and patronising me.

They are also terrible at passing work to me - I have to go out and ask for it but as a subordinate I believe it is their duty to pass work onto me - I shouldn't have to ask for it. When I do ask for work they pass loads onto me so its not as though there isn't any work for me - they just don't seem to pass it on!

One of the student placements has already quit and is returning to uni.

Another situation has come to light in that all of my housemates this year plan to move in with their boyfriends for their final years - leaving me with no one but strangers to live with in my final year. I also know I have people and friends to go to my lectures with if I go back to uni this year, but if I continue on my placement I will be going to lectures alone. I think the next 2 years for me will be incredibly lonely and it has already been made me very low.

However is quitting my placement acceptable? I have only done 3 months and I'm not sure how good this will look on my cv? I also don't particularly want to let my boss down.

HELP

I'd say stick it out. I know it must be very hard for you but it is harder to get a job without experience. And you have done well to gain a placement.

Quitting seems like the easier option now but if you hang in there, it will be worth it in the long run. Don't worry about going alone to lectures. You'll make new friends. At least, you're more likely to get a good job after you graduate.

If you can, speak to someone in the HR department.

Hang in there.........good luck :smile:

btw which company is it?
I'm thinking you should stick it out. Will look good on your CV having this placement year.
Reply 3
All the more reason you should have picked a degree you would enjoy, it looks like you don't fit in to the business environment, as I presume most if not all businesses operate like this. Advice is get used to it or expect the worse to happen.
Reply 4
You sound like your big concern is being with your friends, whats more important, friends or your future?
Reply 5
It's a real pickle. I hated my placement year but stuck there for the money and a bit of experience.
Reply 6
Original post by grumbeale
It's a real pickle. I hated my placement year but stuck there for the money and a bit of experience.

How long was your placement, full year? and what country?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending