The Student Room Group

What are the best PPE studies?

Hello fellow students,

I am a foreigner from Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and I am considering doing a PPE study in England. I want a mix of a (really) good study but also a fun city for going out and all.

I was thinking of applying for York, Manchester, Leeds King's London (not PPE, but similar) and Oxford. But now I read about good PPE studies in Warwick and Durham and I was wondering are these universities way better than for example York? I had email contact with York and they, quote: ''strongly encourage me to apply'', so I think my grades are fine.. But now my question is are Durham and Warwick a lot better than Leeds, Manchester and York because I do want a ''top notch'' (don't want to sound cocky but don't know how to put it differently) study. And if they are way better how is the social life there and the partying? I do not want to be studying all the time, like I probably have to at Oxford for example.

Thank you so so much for answering my somewhat difficult questions!!

Edit: I am sorry this post might be a bit confusing
(edited 10 years ago)
They certainly aren't "way better", although Warwick and Durham tend to be higher in the league tables than York, for what little that means. For a more objective comparison, look for the courses on unistats - you'll get data about what people do after university and how much they earn.

I also encourage you to look at the websites and if you can, come over and visit the universities. You'll get a better idea of which university you prefer - given all the universities you've picked are well-respected universities with high entry standards, it's best to choose which ones you like the look of the most, rather than which one is 3 places higher on the league tables or was founded 200 years earlier.
Thanks so much for your reply PytianLegume, yes I was just thinking that if I am going to study in England I only want uni's that will be significantly better than the ones in Holland. And I was just wondering if there was a big difference between Warwick/Durham and, for example, York! Could you perhaps provide me with a link to unistats, because I am not really familiar with these kinds of sites. And do you happen to know anything about life (partys, culture whatever) in Warwick/Durham? unfortunately I cannot visit any Uni's because I am on a gapyear right now. I am volunteering as an English teacher from the second of August 2013 till the end of July. That's why I am asking which Uni's are better for PPE and how the places are where the Uni's are. Thanks for all the help! Hope you can provide me with some more information or you know anyone that can help me if you can't. Kind regards (try to use the 'enter' button but I can't.. strange..)
Reply 3
Original post by moos-dominus-est
Hello fellow students,

I am a foreigner from Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and I am considering doing a PPE study in England. I want a mix of a (really) good study but also a fun city for going out and all.

I was thinking of applying for York, Manchester, Leeds King's London (not PPE, but similar) and Oxford. But now I read about good PPE studies in Warwick and Durham and I was wondering are these universities way better than for example York? I had email contact with York and they, quote: ''strongly encourage me to apply'', so I think my grades are fine.. But now my question is are Durham and Warwick a lot better than Leeds, Manchester and York because I do want a ''top notch'' (don't want to sound cocky but don't know how to put it differently) study. And if they are way better how is the social life there and the partying? I do not want to be studying all the time, like I probably have to at Oxford for example.

Thank you so so much for answering my somewhat difficult questions!!

Edit: I am sorry this post might be a bit confusing

After Oxford, Warwick and Durham have the best PPE degrees in my opinion
Original post by Lunch_Box
After Oxford, Warwick and Durham have the best PPE degrees in my opinion

What about York/ManU/Leeds? or they like similar or are Warwick and durham a lot better? and do you happen to know anything about the social life (going out, and how the city is like) in Warwick and Durham? Thank you so much for your help!
As far as I am aware, Leeds doesn't offer PPE, although it does offer a joint honours degree in Politics and Philosophy.

I'm applying for PPE at Oxford, Durham and York, and my preferred second choice is York if I don't get an offer from Oxford (actually, York and Durham both have a similar reputation for PPE, but I just like York better). This is my opinion and my opinion only, but I would say that Oxford, York, Warwick and Durham are probably the best unis academically for PPE, whilst Manchester, Hull and Leeds are more 'second tier'.
Thanks so much for your reply PytianLegume, yes I was just thinking that if I am going to study in England I only want uni's that will be significantly better than the ones in Holland. And I was just wondering if there was a big difference between Warwick/Durham and, for example, York! Could you perhaps provide me with a link to unistats, because I am not really familiar with these kinds of sites. And do you happen to know anything about life (partys, culture whatever) in Warwick/Durham? unfortunately I cannot visit any Uni's because I am on a gapyear right now. I am volunteering as an English teacher from the second of August 2013 till the end of July. That's why I am asking which Uni's are better for PPE and how the places are where the Uni's are. Thanks for all the help! Hope you can provide me with some more information or you know anyone that can help me if you can't. Kind regards (try to use the 'enter' button but I can't.. strange..)

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

You could literally have googled 'unistats'.

Warwick is a campus, not a city, university, so doesn't have as much of a party scene as most universities, and I'm not sure that Durham has any nightclubs. However, that doesn't mean that the students there don't want to party or go out drinking.

Honestly, as I said, there isn't a big difference between Warwick/Durham and York/Manchester. Any differences are very small and likely won't have a significant effect on your prospects.
Reply 7
What about York/ManU/Leeds? or they like similar or are Warwick and durham a lot better? and do you happen to know anything about the social life (going out, and how the city is like) in Warwick and Durham? Thank you so much for your help!

Warwick is a campus uni so the social life isn't that good - but I would say it's second to Oxford for prestige. It's the new up and coming uni imo

The rest will have good social life because they're cities (Durham?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending