The Student Room Group

Is it possible to transfer into the third year of a degree?

I'm in a dire situation at the moment.

I've recently started the second year of a science degree at my local university. In short, I hate the university and I feel like I'm not getting value for money. Lab is the worst, equipment is broken or missing, and there is no help at all apart from a volunteer who comes in. Last year some of the modular exam papers were repeats from previous years, the questions were exactly the same. Surely this can't be legal? He brings the same questions out every year. I am in two and a half days a week, which for a science degree is outrageous.

I don't know what to do. My A level results are AAB and I got excellent first year results (80%+.. how could I even fail when I had already seen some of the exam papers). I had an offer for a second year transfer elsewhere but I chickened out, and it looks like it's too late now. My confidence is shot and I don't know what to do.

If I get 80%+ again will anywhere at all entertain a third year transfer? I have considered doing the four year degree to make this more likely, but it seems a bad idea given the extra year of studying and the extra tuition fees that year would entail.

I started university later (I'm in my mid twenties now), so I don't really want to waste another year out of education and doing nothing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by student49
I'm in a dire situation at the moment.

I've recently started the second year of a science degree at my local university. In short, I hate the university and I feel like I'm not getting value for money. Lab is the worst, equipment is broken or missing, and there is no help at all apart from a volunteer who comes in. Last year some of the modular exam papers were repeats from previous years, the questions were exactly the same. Surely this can't be legal? He brings the same questions out every year. I am in two and a half days a week, which for a science degree is outrageous.

I don't know what to do. My A level results are AAB and I got excellent first year results (80%+.. how could I even fail when I had already seen some of the exam papers). I had an offer for a second year transfer elsewhere but I chickened out, and it looks like it's too late now. My confidence is shot and I don't know what to do.

If I get 80%+ again will anywhere at all entertain a third year transfer? I have considered doing the four year degree to make this more likely, but it seems a bad idea given the extra year of studying and the extra tuition fees that year would entail.

I started university later (I'm in my mid twenties now), so I don't really want to waste another year out of education and doing nothing.

It's unlikely to be allowed, but you'll have to speak to universities themselves to get chapter and verse for each individual institution.

You should, however, still be able to get a transfer into second year starting in 2014. You'll still get full student finance, unless you've previously dropped out of uni or repeated a year.
Transfer into a Third year is very, very rarely allowed.

No Uni will want to let you graduate with 'their' degree when you've done 2/3rds of it somewhere else. And 'matching' your completed courses with that at the new Uni will be close to impossible - making working out a final grade a nightmare.

As above - a better idea is to approach the new Uni with a request to transfer into the 2nd year next October. This is a much more common process - but remember, they dont have to say Yes.
Reply 3
Has anyone ever managed it?

What about doing a year of part time study (second year content) at the new university to make sure I've covered all the content, before doing the final year?

This is awful, i don't want to take yet another year out. I feel like i've been mislead by my university, parts of the course are appaling.
Reply 4
For anyone still looking for an answer to this in 2015 I have just done it! I am transferring from Leeds to a uni in london I applied through UCAS an gave all the units a heads up fest with my portfolio and a brief about me :smile: and have just received an unconditional offer to do so so yes it is possible! Good luck !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending