The Student Room Group

What a levels should I choose to go into law, finance or business?

I don't know what to do, could you please give me some advice? I was thinking A level business studies,law, psychology, English language and critical thinking as a fifth option(fast track course) I'm not really sure because I keep changing my mind so could you please give me some advice and will I get in to a good uni with these A levels?:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?
Maths (NOT Use of Maths)
Economics OR business studies
English literature or literature & language
History
Geography
Government & politics
Psychology wouldn't be wrong if you were desperate to do it

I'd suggest avoiding law though - often unis prefer that you don't do it, and it can be regarded as a soft A Level.

For law, any combination of solid academic A Levels will usually do. That said, you'll find doing an essay subject beneficial, and the classic combination is history, English lit and government & politics.

For business / finance, maths will be beneficial, but it's one of those subject areas where most A Levels are acceptable

Don't pick anything you think you'll hate - that's not a fun way to spend two years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you for the reply I've decided late history, English language, psychology and business studies do you think this ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Maths Stats, English/History and any language is always a golden combo.
Reply 5
Original post by JazzyT17
Thank you for the reply I've decided late history, English language, psychology and business studies do you think this ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would help if you knew that you wanted to do law, finance or business specifically. If you're leaning towards the latter two, I'm surprised that you aren't doing maths. English lit is usually preferable to English lang.
Reply 6
Please do maths
Reply 7
I've decided I want to go into law and I'm doing late history,psychology, english language and literature (combined) and business studies is this ok I hope these subjects aren't considered soft?
Economics & Maths should be added.
Reply 9
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Economics & Maths should be added.

I can only do 4 A levels what should I get rid of?:confused:
I can only do 4 A levels what should I get rid of?:confused:

I would definitely swap Business for Economics as it's more respected, although a little harder it will pay off. I'm not sure maths is required for Law so your other subjects seem fine although English Lit is better than English Lit & Lan.
I've decided I want to go into law and I'm doing late history,psychology, english language and literature (combined) and business studies is this ok I hope these subjects aren't considered soft?

Business studies is seen as very soft, and so are psychology and English language really. I'd say you definitely need Maths and probably even Economics. In my opinion, you should scrap English lang and business studies and go for maths and econ. edit: just saw you said you wanted to go into law. Okay, don't bother with economics then. Erm, I'd say do maths though, that's really useful. BS is pretty pointless, tbh
I don't know what to do, could you please give me some advice? I was thinking A level business studies,law, psychology, English language and critical thinking as a fifth option(fast track course) I'm not really sure because I keep changing my mind so could you please give me some advice and will I get in to a good uni with these A levels?:smile:

Drop Business Studies and Law. You could always swap Business for Economics, a lot of people tend to take Econ for Law. History and Lang/Lit combined are good choices but English Lit is much more respected than Lang/Lit combined. Instead of Psychology, why not take Maths or a Science. You'll need a logic based subject somewhere in there.

Quick Reply

Latest