The Student Room Group

Really struggling with access course

Hi Guys,

Still new to this. I've been on an access to health course now since September, doing Psychology, Health Science and Sociology (as well as retaking maths GCSE). I'm really finding it intense and difficult, failed my first assignment (although I have a chance to resit it). I'm finding it hard to keep up with the workload of college whilst holding down my job (which also requires assignments and assessments).

I've literally reduced myself to tears tonight with a sociology essay and drawing a scatter graph for Science. I don't know if it's because I'm just tired.

How different and how much more difficult is University to college? At the moment I feel as though I'm fighting a losing battle with this and really don't want to carry on with it. I feel as though I'm getting no support from my college either, as the tutors will generally tell you "they're not there to spoon feed you". This I understand, but at the end of the day I've been out of Education for a few years now, and when I was in school (5 years), I rarely attended so it's a big shock to the system. In 5 week theres already been two exams, 3 essays and 2 reports to write up, all which go towards my grading. If I'm struggling now is there any point in me carrying on and going to uni.

I'm getting mixed opinions from 'classmates', family and friends, half of which are telling me I need to stick it out, and the other half saying I should drop out. Dropping out is the easy option, I know this, but I'd rather have some informed advice and know what to expect when I get to uni so I can make a more informed decision rather than just drop out (or stay, even) and regret it later.
Original post by john.edwards
Hi Guys,

Still new to this. I've been on an access to health course now since September, doing Psychology, Health Science and Sociology (as well as retaking maths GCSE). I'm really finding it intense and difficult, failed my first assignment (although I have a chance to resit it). I'm finding it hard to keep up with the workload of college whilst holding down my job (which also requires assignments and assessments).

I've literally reduced myself to tears tonight with a sociology essay and drawing a scatter graph for Science. I don't know if it's because I'm just tired.

How different and how much more difficult is University to college? At the moment I feel as though I'm fighting a losing battle with this and really don't want to carry on with it. I feel as though I'm getting no support from my college either, as the tutors will generally tell you "they're not there to spoon feed you". This I understand, but at the end of the day I've been out of Education for a few years now, and when I was in school (5 years), I rarely attended so it's a big shock to the system. In 5 week theres already been two exams, 3 essays and 2 reports to write up, all which go towards my grading. If I'm struggling now is there any point in me carrying on and going to uni.

I'm getting mixed opinions from 'classmates', family and friends, half of which are telling me I need to stick it out, and the other half saying I should drop out. Dropping out is the easy option, I know this, but I'd rather have some informed advice and know what to expect when I get to uni so I can make a more informed decision rather than just drop out (or stay, even) and regret it later.

Hi John,

I can relate to this situation. I went to college when I was 22 (to do science A levels) and naively thought that I could work 24 hours on the weekend and keep up with the college workload (as well as relationship commitments). I managed it for 6 months but then crashed. I ended up getting so stressed out that I fell really ill.

I had to come to terms that there were limits to my output. I also suffered a lot from procrastination. Although I enjoyed the subjects, I found the actual studying to be a stressful experience. Furthermore, I had dropped out of school when I was 15 and went straight into full time employment. So like you I wasn't used to studying.

In my case, I focused on getting a better work-life balance, while trying to improve my health (eating more healthy, exercising and getting enough sleep). Things then started to improve. I have been studying towards a degree with the open uni and have recently complete 60 credits. I only still work part time as I find it way to stressful working Full time and studying part time (some don't so it's a personal thing).

I've now decided to switch to a full time uni course as I don't like the learning style of the OU (although they are a great uni). What this means for me is that I gonna have to sacrifice my pay check in order to achieve a decent degree mark.

I think you need to work out exactly why your doing the access course (what is your intention and how important is this to you?). Maybe you need to reduce your working hours to keep up with the college work load (we all need to make sacrifices to some degree here). I'm not just talking about freeing up more time to do college work but maybe to spend more time relaxing (doing something that you enjoy).

And yes, uni study is much harder than college (to which extent is depended on what degree you aim to do). But I wouldn't let this put you off. By the time you start uni, you will be adequately prepared.

Sorry for rambling on. I need to work on writing more concisely!

Hope it all works out for you.
Reply 2
Hi Guys,

Hello

First of all, whoever it telling you to drop out - do NOT listen to them! You are there for a reason: to pursue in a career you have aspirations in doing! You are going through a tough time right now because again, it is a shock to the system because you have been out of education for such a long time.

It is a tough ride. I am with Distance Learning Centre, and I have had most of my work resubmitted because of so many faults and errors, but this leaves room for improvement and that is what you will learn from - very important for when you go to university.

As for your job: is it possible you could cut your hours down, or have an extra day off for study day at all? This would help you immensely with planning and organising and giving you time to revise and do your work without any need to rush.

If you drop out now, you WILL regret not sticking to it and wonder why haven't you gone far in life. Now is your chance. The options I would suggest you to do (which has worked for me!) are:-

1) speak to your tutor/guidance counselor! They are there to help you, and they will help you prioritise and get organised and maybe give you an extension to give you more time to get your assignments done

2) speak to your employer. Honestly, this is a must! You have to come first, and you cannot cope with too much work load. Humans are not robotic. They (meaning you) need to have time to yourselves, too.

3) buy a diary. This is such a help! Perhaps a Filofax or just a diary in itself. Write down when assignments are due, exam dates, days at college, meetings, etc. This will help you keep track of things

4) to do list. Tick off things you have done and accomplished: and list them as urgent, important and least important. This will help you figure out what needs to be done first (what about that assignment due in tomorrow? lol)

5) calendar! Buy a calendar, compare it with your diary - have an outing. Have a break, a meal, ice skating - ANYTHING! Just have some time for yourself at least once a day/night

6) de-clutter everything, rearrange your desk space, especially for your work only

7) calm, breathe... and tell yourself you CAN do this!

8) DO NOT DROP OUT!

Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
You really need to think about cutting down work. There are usually other options...

For example, my situation changed as soon as I started college. I got offered another job a week before I started, one which was fantastic for my career but dreadful for financial reasons. It was a bit of a panic, because I would need to sort things out with the college (which is an hour and a half drive away!) as I would have no longer been able to afford to commute by car 3 days a week with this new job. Luckily, I qualified for a free bus pass. This means I spend more time on the bus but I'm not spending loads on fuel, and I started my new job, which is only two days a week, meaning I have another two days at home to work on college work. I am POOR but I can get by, and by not being able to spend much money, I have to stay in and study! :smile:

What I'm trying to say is there may be other options, help for you, that you do not realise you are entitled to. I have other people on my course, complaining they do not have time, and then complaining at me because I get a free bus pass! When I say, have you looked into bursarys, they say no and leave it at that. :s-smilie:

ALSO if it makes you feel any better I have felt incredibly stressed from the weight of starting college and starting a brand new career path at the same time and today, I failed a maths assessment for the first time and cried about it because I really studied hard for it and didn't understand where I went wrong (I also felt really ridiculous afterwards for crying hahaha). IT IS TOUGH. Doesn't help when you come on TSR and the only people who post here are the ones who get distinctions
First thing I would say is that if you can afford to cut down on your working hours, that would probably be a good starting point.

Also I hate to say this but I hope it is just a case of struggling to adapt as things are not going to get any easier... and in fact the workload and stress levels will get a lot higher.

I'd definitely stick it out until Christmas and if you still are really struggling to get to terms with it you could either decide university/going down the academic route is not for you or give it another go next year.

Good luck either way.
DO NOT DROP OUT!!! I was so so overwhelmed by my access and I can safely say it was more intense than year one and two of uni put together!! The thing is you're at the start of the year, and that's when it's hardest because there's so much to learn. But it gets easier as time goes on, as your time management skills increase etc. Most people leave at christmas. Don't do it!

There's space at the end of the year to do extra assignments if you need to (if you get bad grades in the first few). It's designed that way deliberately. So don't lose hope or stop trying now.

I had a 6 week old baby when I started and was a single mum and I managed. You can do it if you want it enough, and uni is an easy ride after that! (Well; joking aside, the work is harder but there's a lot less of it)
6 week child and you still completed access no problems? Wow that's genuinely great :smile:. In the words of the legendary philosopher Andy Gray "Take a bow".
Reply 7
Hi Guys,

John.edwards,

I am 26 also studying an access course (nursing and midwifery), doing a part time job (between 7-15hours a week) and have a long distance relationship. Who is in the same boat as me. So I feel your pain.

What I would say to you is be strong and be positive. I would look at cutting your workload down at your job to allow you more study time. I've heard the access courses are designed to be harder than the first year at uni (dep on course and uni) and more in line with the second year.

You're doing this for a reason. I would talk to your tutor ask them for assistance and what they feel might help you to progress through. This course is designed to be hard and challenging no BS. You clearly are able as you got a place on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for all the messages guys. It's just been a tough first half term I think. I've had to reduce my hours at work, and my wage doesn't cover my bills anymore so I'm now on the verge of losing my home. I don't want to drop out of college, as I really feel this is my last chance, cause I know I won't go back if I don't do it now. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the home I've worked so hard to make with the possibility of having no qualifications to show at the end of it. Maybe some of it is fear of the unknown, who knows. Think I'm going to stick it out till Christmas, and by then I'm over halfway through. It's nice to know I'm not the only person on here who's feeling the strain of it all.

Thanks everyone :smile: x
Have a look into the Family Action Grants... I got a grand bursary off them during my access course. And go into your student centre, there's usually emergency funds in most colleges.

Also, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Look at what you need to get onto your chosen uni course and aim for that- i.e if you need 30 merits and 15 distinctions, then don't work at distinction level throughout. Cut yourself some slack.

On the positive side: the access prepared me SO fantastically for uni that I've sailed through it, I'm in my third year now and still nowhere near as overwhelmed as I was on the access. I thought I'd be disadvantaged to the 18 year olds who'd done A Levels, but actually me and my little group of friends (all who did an access too, at various colleges) have found it so much easier than them. Your access isn't about the content of your subject at all really (hence why you get onto most degrees with pretty much any access course) but about the skills needed to excel at university. You won't regret it when it's over.
Original post by Seathestars
6 week child and you still completed access no problems? Wow that's genuinely great :smile:. In the words of the legendary philosopher Andy Gray "Take a bow".

There were plenty of tears and late nights at one point, but it was all worth it in the end!
Original post by cementedweetabix
There were plenty of tears and late nights at one point, but it was all worth it in the end!

I'm glad it was. What university are you at?
Herts :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending