The Student Room Group

Help with Contract Law Question for assignment

Hi I am a first year student studying Law and I am unsure on how to word my first assignment I have posted the question below. Any advise would be greatfully received.

The Tech Revolution (“TTR”) put an advertisement in the local paper which stated:

“Seven Inch Android Tablets, available in all colours. Only £229.”

“Soniz Netbooks on special offer at £100 for all orders received by 15th November.”

“Support Our Olympians: a free Quasar smartphone to anyone who shows he or she has made a £100 donation to the British Olympic Team and who also agrees to our standard 24-month contract.”

Alan wrote and ordered a Tablet in silver. TTR wrote back and said they only had green or pink. TTR then found a silver Tablet and so wrote to it to Alan saying they accepted his offer. Alan no longer wants the Tablet.
Betty wrote a letter accepting the Soniz Netbook. Her letter was mailed on the 14th November but arrived on the 16th November. TTR are saying that it arrived too late.

Charles made a donation to the British Olympic Team and sent the receipt together with the 24-month contract to TTR. On the way back from posting the letter, Charles bought the local paper and read an advertisement from TTR which said they were sorry but they had to cancel the smartphone deal.

Advise TTR.
Reply 1
Original post by KRS2306
Hi I am a first year student studying Law and I am unsure on how to word my first assignment I have posted the question below. Any advise would be greatfully received.

The Tech Revolution (“TTR”) put an advertisement in the local paper which stated:

“Seven Inch Android Tablets, available in all colours. Only £229.”

“Soniz Netbooks on special offer at £100 for all orders received by 15th November.”

“Support Our Olympians: a free Quasar smartphone to anyone who shows he or she has made a £100 donation to the British Olympic Team and who also agrees to our standard 24-month contract.”

Alan wrote and ordered a Tablet in silver. TTR wrote back and said they only had green or pink. TTR then found a silver Tablet and so wrote to it to Alan saying they accepted his offer. Alan no longer wants the Tablet.
Betty wrote a letter accepting the Soniz Netbook. Her letter was mailed on the 14th November but arrived on the 16th November. TTR are saying that it arrived too late.

Charles made a donation to the British Olympic Team and sent the receipt together with the 24-month contract to TTR. On the way back from posting the letter, Charles bought the local paper and read an advertisement from TTR which said they were sorry but they had to cancel the smartphone deal.

Advise TTR.

What are your thoughts so far?

We don't mind helping out, but you'll lose the benefit of the exercise if someone else does it all for you. :wink:
I advise you to purchase a Contract Law Q&A book from Amazon. It will give you a good idea on how to structure a good first class answer.

I'm currently doing some work of my own at the moment, if I have time later on, I'll try help out with this.
Reply 3
I have all the contractual information wrote down into bullet points for each of the different parts it's the psychical starting block on wording that I am struggling with, I don't want somebody to write it for me just a helping hand with how to formalise the layout and the help with getting off the starting block.
Reply 4
Original post by KRS2306
I have all the contractual information wrote down into bullet points for each of the different parts it's the psychical starting block on wording that I am struggling with, I don't want somebody to write it for me just a helping hand with how to formalise the layout and the help with getting off the starting block.

Well, let's take a different example.

Suppose you were given a question on criminal law.

Identify the legal issue - "Fred may have committed theft"

State the first requirement - "the actus reus is ____"

Apply the law to decide whether the requirement has been met in this case. This is likely to be a longer discussion, e.g. if there are uncertainties (either in the law because there are conflicting cases, or on the facts because you don't have enough information). There won't always be uncertainties, so use your common sense and draw the conclusion that the examiner's hinting at

Repeat the process for the second, third, etc. requirements

If you write a "full" answer to the first section I'd be happy to check it before you do the rest. :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you I'll be sure to do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending