The Student Room Group

Help with choosing A Level options?

I know I'm definitely going to do Maths and Chemistry, but I really don't know what else to choose. Then I'm deciding the others from Physics, RP&E (RS), History, Further Maths and Spanish.
It's hard because I'm predicted good grades in nearly all my subjects and I don't really know what I want to do in the future (I'm thinking about studying Law, Medicine or Land Economy at university and I really want to go to one in the Russel Group)
I'm predicted:
-History- A*
-RS- A*
-Maths- A*
-Physics- A*
-Chemistry- A/A*
-English Language- A
-English Literature- A
-Biology- A
-Drama- A
-Spanish- A/B
Reply 1
Original post by OMGJealous
I know I'm definitely going to do Maths and Chemistry, but I really don't know what else to choose. Then I'm deciding the others from Physics, RP&E (RS), History, Further Maths and Spanish.
It's hard because I'm predicted good grades in nearly all my subjects and I don't really know what I want to do in the future (I'm thinking about studying Law, Medicine or Land Economy at university and I really want to go to one in the Russel Group)
I'm predicted:
-History- A*
-RS- A*
-Maths- A*
-Physics- A*
-Chemistry- A/A*
-English Language- A
-English Literature- A
-Biology- A
-Drama- A
-Spanish- A/B

I know it's not compulsory but if you're thinking of doing med then you'll probably need biology if you don't want to block out some universities. Tbh, further maths won't help you for any of those 3 degrees and there are more facilitating subjects. Law a levels don't matter from the ones you've mentioned.
Reply 2
Original post by Mike_123
I know it's not compulsory but if you're thinking of doing med then you'll probably need biology if you don't want to block out some universities. Tbh, further maths won't help you for any of those 3 degrees and there are more facilitating subjects. Law a levels don't matter from the ones you've mentioned.

I was thinking about taking Biology but my current teacher has put me off so much. It's probably my least enjoyable lesson at the moment as he acts like he doesn't give a sh*t. Anyway, I'm thinking more towards Law to be honest because the course looks really good and it interests me a lot. I'm only thinking Further Maths because Maths is probably my favourite subject and the easiest in my opinion. My brother studied Land Economy at Cambridge and got A levels in Economy, Maths, Further Maths and something else so I don't really think it matters what you study if you want to go down the Law route. I just want subjects that will give me As and A*s tbh.

Is Maths: Pure and Applied better that Maths: Pure and Statistics?
Reply 3
Original post by OMGJealous
I was thinking about taking Biology but my current teacher has put me off so much. It's probably my least enjoyable lesson at the moment as he acts like he doesn't give a sh*t. Anyway, I'm thinking more towards Law to be honest because the course looks really good and it interests me a lot. I'm only thinking Further Maths because Maths is probably my favourite subject and the easiest in my opinion. My brother studied Land Economy at Cambridge and got A levels in Economy, Maths, Further Maths and something else so I don't really think it matters what you study if you want to go down the Law route. I just want subjects that will give me As and A*s tbh.

Is Maths: Pure and Applied better that Maths: Pure and Statistics?

If you want A*s and As then yeah maths and FM are pretty easy (as long as you're competent). I'm not sure what you mean by applied vs statistics. Statistics is a form of applied maths. Assuming you're taking an ordinary exam board (not like CIE or something), then you will sit modules. For example in regular maths you'll have C1, C2 for the cores, and you pick one applied module (this can be statistics, mechanics or decision).

If you're confident that you're going to do law, then which one out of medicine and land econ would you much rather do? If it's med then obviously pick chemistry and biology. Land econ is strange because i think only 2 unis offer this course - so what else would you apply, since you get 5 choices on UCAS? I would consider taking economics if you're also interested in that stuff.
Reply 4
I'm doing maths, further maths, history and economics at AS. Are these the right subjects to do land economy at cambridge? or should i have taken law?

Quick Reply

Latest