The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Self Catered and Catered Accomodations

Hey guys,
I will be applying for aerospace engineering (entrance in September 2014) and if I get an offer then I would like a catered en-suite room. This being said, when I was looking at the website, it said that I would only get a 30 week contract whereas the self-catered people will get a 39 week contract. Does this mean that I will need to move out after 30 weeks or is it that after 30 weeks, I will no longer be catered and turn self-catered?
Any type of help will be appreciated, thanks in advanced.
Original post by Wise Fool
Hey guys,
I will be applying for aerospace engineering (entrance in September 2014) and if I get an offer then I would like a catered en-suite room. This being said, when I was looking at the website, it said that I would only get a 30 week contract whereas the self-catered people will get a 39 week contract. Does this mean that I will need to move out after 30 weeks or is it that after 30 weeks, I will no longer be catered and turn self-catered?

If it is the same as other universities then I would say that it is 30 weeks instead of 39 weeks because you will probably have to move out during the holidays when the catering facilities will be closed (e.g. Christmas, Easter and Summer) while the self catered will be able to stay in accommodation during the Christmas and Easter holidays making up the extra 9 weeks, although I would check as you may still be able to keep your stuff in your room instead of having to clear everything out at every holiday like some universities make you do. Good luck getting in, I hope you get an offer.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Wise Fool
Hey guys,

All catered people are on a 30-week contract and self-catered on a 39-week contract. If you're catered, you have to completely empty your room and move everything in again at the start of term, just as if you were arriving again. It's pretty annoying I know - apparently it's for people to stay over during conferences... but whatever lol. The 39 week contract means during the Xmas/Easter holidays, you don't have to move stuff out.

On a 30-week catered contract, you'll be catered for that whole year during term time. If taking all your stuff home after each term is too much hassle, you can always ask a mate in self-catered on a 39-week contract if they can keep their stuff at home. I imagine the vast majority of people will go home during the holidays so it shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending