The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Study in Alternate Field

Hello Everyone,

This is my first thread but this question has been bugging me for a while, and the more I research the more confused I become.

A bit of academic/work background first.

I graduated this year from Northumbria University with a First Class (Hons) in Computer Animation and Digital SFX and I am currently working for a company close to my home town as a Film and Media Designer. This is after working freelance for the same company over the summer.

Now, although I enjoy many aspects of my work I would like to move over into a more researched based role within animation, rather than working on the front end.

The reason for this being that I enjoy coding and working as part of a team to solve issues that arise within software.

I was thinking that to be able to make this kind of move away from being a front end user I would need a Computer Science or similar masters.

Here is were problems begin to arise.

As at A-Level I did not take a maths or computer based subject, I often do not meet the pre-requisites for a course that is heavily based on computer science.

I am willing to take a A-Level maths course in the mean while before I apply, I even looked into a conversion course so that I have a masters in Computer Science. However, the university were I enquired about this told me that I was overqualified for the course, being that I had completed a computer based degree. Their course was particularly aimed at not computing students.

With regard to coding, I did a few modules on my course in which I learnt basic coding, and have carried that forward into my spare time where I build and maintain a websites.

So my question here is,

What master courses should I look for that help lead into a computer research career?

Are there university master courses which have additional modules in maths for those without a maths A-Level?

Sorry for the essay, however if I have not been clear on anything please ask and I will try to clarify.
Reply 1
If people have told you that you are overqualified for a computing MSc then you may not be explaining your situation properly

You might not necessarily be able to get into it since you dont have a science/math degree, but this MSc is specifically aimed at students who dont have a strong computing/programming background, and since you got a 1st it might be worth a speculative application: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/admissions/pg/msc-cs

Doing A Level (or similar) mathematics would definitely be a good idea
Reply 2
Original post by poohat
If people have told you that you are overqualified for a computing MSc then you may not be explaining your situation properly

You might not necessarily be able to get into it since you dont have a science/math degree, but this MSc is specifically aimed at students who dont have a strong computing/programming background, and since you got a 1st it might be worth a speculative application: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/admissions/pg/msc-cs

Doing A Level (or similar) mathematics would definitely be a good idea

Wow, I am surprised I did not find this sooner. This course sounds very interesting!

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending