The Student Room Group

Question Regarding Parliamentary Sovereignty

Hi all,

I am currently working on an essay right now, and I'm quite confused between the terms "self-embracing parliamentary legislative supremacy" and "continuing parliamentary legislative supremacy" while doing my own research.

Can someone enlighten me on the difference between the two and its implications on parliamentary sovereignty?

Appreciate it and thank you in advance (:
Reply 1
In a nutshell, a "continuing" sovereign parliament can do anything, enact any law, except ones that would limit its own sovereignty; a "self-embracing" sovereign parliament has, in theory, a carte blanche to reorganise the parliament, change the way we make laws and regulations, alter the course of legislation, etc.

Obviously, there are huge issues with having a self-embracing parliament, which is why it is more common, at least in English jurisprudence, to look towards a continuing parliament.
Reply 2
Original post by arrowhead
In a nutshell, a "continuing" sovereign parliament can do anything, enact any law, except ones that would limit its own sovereignty; a "self-embracing" sovereign parliament has, in theory, a carte blanche to reorganise the parliament, change the way we make laws and regulations, alter the course of legislation, etc.

Obviously, there are huge issues with having a self-embracing parliament, which is why it is more common, at least in English jurisprudence, to look towards a continuing parliament.

Got another question actually, "parliamentary sovereignty has been cited as supreme due to democratic legitimacy"

How does democratic legitimacy give Parliament its supremacy over the other branches like the legislative and the judiciary? That is besides the obvious that the Parliament is made up of elected members.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending