The Student Room Group

Moving in with coursemates in second year

Okay, I know this is generally considered a bad idea because of the amount of time you have to spend with these people but I can literally think of no other option for me next year other than going into Halls again.

I love my flat, and everyone in it, but I know for a fact we're not going to be living together next year. The boys are part of a larger clique I've never really busted into, they go for a lot of nights out during the week and I only really get invited to the bigger events like birthdays, themed nights or generally just once a week. Like, if everyone just decides to go out on a Tuesday I probably won't get asked, unless I'm in the kitchen when it's bought up. Sometimes I've been in the same room and not been explicitly asked and I don't like inviting myself so I haven't gone out. A few times I've told them I'm going out, get ready and find they've gone without me. Which is embarrassing and kind of an awful feeling.

The girls in my flat are pleasant enough, but like the boys, they are quite messy, self-inclusive and I don't see much of them. Together the four of them make a tip of a flat, I find myself cleaning my plates and cutlery right away just so I'm not contributing the mess, and taking the bin out whenever it's nearly full otherwise it will become a Jenga tower of filth haha

Now the three friends I've made on my course have basically become my best friends at uni and some of the best people I've ever been friends with so far in my life. I'm a bit of a geek and a big alternative music fan, and they are pretty much like me which is awesome as I've never really had friends that I gelled with in that way. They're all talking about living together next year, as two of them don't get on with their flatmates and the other one, like me, likes their flat but doesn't see it happening for an extra year.

I've managed to go on and on about this but even though I'll be committing social suicide (although I am in societies and have friends from home at the same uni so it's not totally bad), am I making the right decision in moving in with my course mates? Just the thought of possibly having another "meh" experience in halls, for the sake of social diversity doesn't seem worth it.
I say move in with your coursemates :smile: Like you say, they're some of your best friends in your life so far... Who wouldn't want to live with their best friends? :P
A nice benefit of moving in with them is that you know you'll be living with people you get along with, rather than living with people who are the polar opposite to you :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending