The Student Room Group

University choices

I want to have a good/fun university life, not just drinking and parties lol, but somewhere with real friendships and connections with everyone. Does anyone have any recommendations??
@888ella

You just don't know you are going to meet at university, but by making the effort to get to know new people, it is likely that you will find those people who you can build deep friendships with.

Any societies that encourage talking or teamwork might be useful to foster those relationships, but ultimately I think spending time with people is the best way to build meaningful friendships. It does mean though that you have to be willing to put in the time, whether that's making time to meet up for a coffee, hanging out after lectures, or arranging to meet up on the weekend.

As long you are also willing to get to know people, you will hopefully find the people you can build close friendships with.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by 888ella
I want to have a good/fun university life, not just drinking and parties lol, but somewhere with real friendships and connections with everyone. Does anyone have any recommendations??

Hi!

I totally get that and I wanted the exact same thing when I moved to uni. For me just talking to everyone on my course and creating a snapchat group for us all to keep in contact on really worked. But for that approach you do have to hype yourself up and just go say hi!

If that sounds a little too extroverted, clubs is another great way. If you want more friends on your course I'd go for a subject related one which will help you do that but also look good on your CV (it never hurts to be looking forward :smile: ) or I'm sure your university will have millions of sport clubs you can join. Unfortunately, (unless you're blessed to be the most outgoing extrovert ever) making new friends is never not going to be a little bit nerve wracking but it's worth pushing through because you might meet some really great people!

I hope this helps a little, if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Original post by 888ella

Hi @888ella,

This is a great question. As it has already been said, you never know who you're going to meet at university, but if you make sure to push yourself out of your comfort zone and make an effort, you'll find your people.

I'd first recommend talking to the people on your course. You already know you have a common interest with them, so there's something easy to talk about. Sports and societies is also a great way to meet people and most, if not all, give the option of sober socials which is great to form real friendships and connections with other people. Looking into part-time work as a student ambassador is also a great way to meet people on campus, as well as volunteering!

Who you'll meet at university will vary, but it might be useful to look into the differences between city and campus universities if you are still considering your options. They offer different things, with campus universities often having a better community feel.

I hope this helps,
Isabella :smile:
Original post by 888ella

Hi @888ella,

I'm Susannah and I'm a second year student at ARU. I understand how you feel, I wanted the exact same thing when I started. I am certainly not a party or drinking person myself!

I would definitely recommend just going up and talking to people that would be on your course. Some universities may have places like Facebook pages that allow all new students joining to get to know each other before they even start! I would also recommend joining a society and helping out at events - I've met a range of people through doing this.

It also depends on where you're planning to stay/are staying. I've heard a lot of my coursemates have become friends with their flatmates in student halls, and, of course, they were all from a range of courses within the university. So this is certainly something to consider.

I hope this helps :smile:

Susannah (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending