The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 rejection thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ceeintee
Rejected from Nottingham, so that's 3 out of 4 rejections, all pre-interview..
Only have Bristol to hear from now..

Hope you get an interview. I know how it feels! 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 241
Original post by alixeastham
Hi, im not sure if anybody has or is considering it? But I'm thinking of applying to Australian medical schools, does anybody have any past experience of this or have any knowledge of the process?

hah, you should try posting this question in some other thread
Reply 242
Original post by alixeastham

because here probably noone would answer you.
Reply 243
Original post by Aniaa
I am non British applicant too. If I don't get any offer this year, I definitely go to Holland or Poland. UK isnt that awesome actually and according to the statistic UK doctors are the worst in Europe

So basically you are saying if you get rejected you will have sour grapes... If UK doctors are the worst in Europe, why do doctors from other countries flock to the UK?

Also, please show us your statistics. I've also seen statistics which show that Southern European doctors prescribe antibiotics for the common cold and the flu which is the reason for so much antibiotic resistance in those countries.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 244
Original post by ukmed108
So basically you are saying if you get rejected you will have sour grapes... If UK doctors are the worst in Europe, why do doctors from other countries flock to the UK?

Also, please show us your statistics. I've also seen statistics which show that Southern European doctors prescribe antibiotics for the common cold and the flu which is the reason for so much antibiotic resistance in those countries.

Lol I totally agree, it just sounds like an angry child trying to put themselves back up on a pedestal, the UK as proven time and again, is one of the best places on earth for an education(@ TSR Aniaa, why do you think in the UK it is so competitive to get in? Lol if the UK is so substandard to wherever your from, why are you applying here exactly? And from the sounds of it, you've never properly studied in the UK so how the hell can you judge a place you've never even been to as a student)...Christ the ignorance/immaturity of some of the medical applicants this year, makes me cringe to think of these ppl as potential doctors.
(edited 10 years ago)
My rejections have given my ego a well deserved kick in the balls. Certainly I've been studying and networking much harder since the rejections started coming through. The problem with school is that it is very easy to shine amongst such a small and diverse population. You get to the medical applicant stage and suddenly there are thousands of people just like you. For some people (especially the 17/18yos applying to the 5 year courses) their rejection may be their first taste of "failure" and subsequently they are quite defiant and find ways to criticise the very institution they were so desperate to become part of.

This year has been really informative, I'm already pretty old and have a family that could do with some attention so waiting another year isn't a disaster. Try find a positive from the situation; time to indulge a hobby, work on whatever got you the rejection, get some rest in before you kiss goodbye to time off etc... Good luck for 2015 everyone xx
Reply 246
Original post by Quilverine
My rejections have given my ego a well deserved kick in the balls. Certainly I've been studying and networking much harder since the rejections started coming through. The problem with school is that it is very easy to shine amongst such a small and diverse population. You get to the medical applicant stage and suddenly there are thousands of people just like you. For some people (especially the 17/18yos applying to the 5 year courses) their rejection may be their first taste of "failure" and subsequently they are quite defiant and find ways to criticise the very institution they were so desperate to become part of.

This year has been really informative, I'm already pretty old and have a family that could do with some attention so waiting another year isn't a disaster. Try find a positive from the situation; time to indulge a hobby, work on whatever got you the rejection, get some rest in before you kiss goodbye to time off etc... Good luck for 2015 everyone xx

Sorry to hear about your rejections hun :frown:, are you going to reapply next year or are you still waiting on the rest of your choices? :smile:
Reply 247
Got rejected from my backup today (huh- I didn't even know that was possible) and I've only got two options left for Medicine this isn't looking too good atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 248
Does anyone know if UCL or Bath go in clearing for natural sciences? Or if they have any of the previous years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kamatss
Got rejected from my backup today (huh- I didn't even know that was possible) and I've only got two options left for Medicine this isn't looking too good atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you had interviews at the two you've got left?

You have a fairly good chance of getting in if you did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 250
Original post by Quilverine

So true, you have the right attitude completely. This is the maturity I would want of medical students/doctors, not arrogant people petulant that universities aren't fighting over them
2 rejections woo no offers from anywhere.
Reply 252
Original post by anonymouspie227
2 rejections woo no offers from anywhere.

any interviews?
Reply 253
Original post by rc16
So true, you have the right attitude completely. This is the maturity I would want of medical students/doctors, not arrogant people petulant that universities aren't fighting over them

we have 10 years to get mature, why we should be so now?
Reply 254
Original post by Aniaa
we have 10 years to get mature, why we should be so now?

Err...because it shows who you are as a person, your attitude to your career and if you're going into the real world esp. into the medical world, acting immature isn't going to get you far.

Medicine isn't all about grades you know, there is this thing where you have to interact/communicate with different kinds of people (does teamwork ring a bell?). If you can't at least try to be mature about your life, who's going to take you seriously as a potential doctor?

Blimey, this is all pretty common sense stuff and worrying to hear from an applicant. I'm guessing you're around 17-18?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 255
Original post by PG593
Err...because it shows who you are as a person, your attitude to your career and if you're going into the real world esp. into the medical world, acting immature isn't going to get you far.

Medicine isn't all about grades you know, there is this thing where you have to interact/communicate with different kinds of people (does teamwork ring a bell?). If you can't at least try to be mature about your life, who's going to take you seriously as a potential doctor?

Blimey, this is all pretty common sense stuff and worrying to hear from an applicant. I'm guessing you're around 17-18?

17. And as I said, I have 10 years to get mature. Medicine is about studying. If you focus too much on your character then you end up being a doctor who is caring etc but who cant cure people
Reply 256
Original post by Aniaa
17. And as I said, I have 10 years to get mature. Medicine is about studying. If you focus too much on your character then you end up being a doctor who is caring etc but who cant cure people

Medicine is more than just about studying, if you can't speak to people or show a level of responsibility/maturity/compassion in your approach, you'll find yourself in many precarious positions.

I sympathise you're young and obviously have a lot to experience yet but don't say that in an interview...it comes across as someone who thinks medicine is all about sitting on your bed reading a textbook on human biology (you could program a robot to do that).

Personal qualities and character should be just as important as drawing upon your medical knowledge concerning patients.
Reply 257
Original post by PG593
Medicine is more than just about studying, if you can't speak to people or show a level of responsibility/maturity/compassion in your approach, you'll find yourself in many precarious positions.

I sympathise you're young and obviously have a lot to experience yet but don't say that in an interview...it comes across as someone who thinks medicine is all about sitting on your bed reading a textbook on human biology (you could program a robot to do that).

Personal qualities and character should be just as important as drawing upon your medical knowledge concerning patients.

coming from a country where future medicine is only about studying I dont agree with you. We have a lot of ****ty doctors but amazing ones too (just that they move away).
I still bear in my mind the words of a tutor at one of medical schools: people who have souls of doctors wont finish medicine, its too hard for them. Btw, thats the answer to your previous question why so many people want to study in UK: its hard to get in but easy to finish (comparing to other countries)
Reply 258
Original post by Aniaa
coming from a country where future medicine is only about studying I dont agree with you. We have a lot of ****ty doctors but amazing ones too (just that they move away).
I still bear in my mind the words of a tutor at one of medical schools: people who have souls of doctors wont finish medicine, its too hard for them. Btw, thats the answer to your previous question why so many people want to study in UK: its hard to get in but easy to finish (comparing to other countries)

Well, coming from a family of doctors, I've seen enough in my several years experience and upbringing to know what makes a good doctor and what doesn't. If future medicine is only about studying in your country (which I assume is Poland), then I would cringe to be a patient in your country.

The UK's health standard is v. high compared to other countries for a good reason, and that goes beyond studying. I only hope you see that for yourself soon enough if you come to study here. Heavily disagree with your answer, people come to the UK to study because it's a great place of education for all things not just medicine. I've studied in the UK my whole life and I've met many internationals who have come here for that reason, dozens of friends who came for a better medical education.

You only speak for yourself in that regard (because it's 'easy to finish').
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 259
Original post by PG593
Well, coming from a family of doctors, I've seen enough in my several years experience and upbringing to know what makes a good doctor and what doesn't. If future medicine is only about studying in your country (which I assume is Poland), then I would cringe to be a patient in your country.

The UK's health standard is v. high compared to other countries for a good reason, and that goes beyond studying. I only hope you see that for yourself soon enough if you come to study here. Heavily disagree with your answer, people come to the UK to study because it's a great place of education for all things not just medicine. I've studied in the UK my whole life and I've met many internationals who have come here for that reason, dozens of friends who came for a better medical education.

You only speak for yourself in that regard (because it's 'easy to finish').

it is easy to finish anyway. As you said, you studied only in UK so you have no comparasion. It is a great place to study, since there are so many people from all around the World and a vast choice of degrees. Students life is usually good too.
Right now 2 of my friends study medicine, one in UK and one in Poland. The difference in amount of work is huge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending