The Student Room Group

What to wear to an interview for Journalism?

Hi!

I have an interview tomorrow at the University of Kent for Journalism. I am completely stuck on what to wear.

I don't want to turn up in a full suit if everyone else is casual. On the other hand, I don't want to turn up casual when everyone else is in suits.

What do you think the best approach is? At the moment, I am thinking a shirt with jumper, black jeans and shoes. Would that be okay?

Thank you!
Original post by liamausten
Would that be okay?

Thank you!

With very few exceptions (and this isn't one of them) you should attend an interview in the clothes you would expect to wear if your interview were to be successful. The only criteria for a university interview are comfort, practicality, wholesomeness and the need to avoid giving offence.

If you intend to wear a dinner jacket to lectures, then wear it for the interview. If you intend to wear red cords and a purple shirt to lectures, wear them to the interview.

Forget what other nervous would-be classmates might be wearing and be prepared to stick out from the crowd. I thought teenagers wanted to show their individuality, not appear the same as everyone else.
Personally any interview I would go to I would go smart. If everyone does turn up in casuals it just makes you stand out to the interviewers and makes you look a lot more serious about the interview.
It isnt about conformity, it's about looking and acting the part. It shows your commitment and understanding that its an interview as well as taking away sny unnecessary worry about what to wear. Trousers and a shirt would look smart but not too overdoing it if you're that worried.
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Personally any interview I would go to I would go smart. If everyone does turn up in casuals it just makes you stand out to the interviewers and makes you look a lot more serious about the interview.
It isnt about conformity, it's about looking and acting the part. It shows your commitment and understanding that its an interview as well as taking away sny unnecessary worry about what to wear. Trousers and a shirt would look smart but not too overdoing it if you're that worried.
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a university interview. The admissions tutor may well be dressed quite scruffily, and won't care what the interviewee wears (as long as it is clean, wholesome and inoffensive).
And what if the admissions tutor isnt?
What if they are dressed smart and you rock up in jeans and a tshirt. Great first impression :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
And what if the admissions tutor isnt?
What if they are dressed smart and you rock up in jeans and a tshirt. Great first impression :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's looking to find out if he can teach you in an environment where there is no dress code, not give you marks for sartorial splendour. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Reply 7
Simply because it's an interview, I would err on the side of caution. If you wear a suit and everyone else is scruffy, you can take the jacket and tie off, and go for the casual smart look. If everyone else is dressed formally (as I suspect they will be) then you'll be alright.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending