The Student Room Group

Current educational issue/topic

Hi everyone,

I have an interview for UEL next wednesday and I am wondering if any of you would have suggestions on a recent education topic or where I could get them from. What are the most popular issues that arrise often?

I understand the guardian is a good place to start.

Thank you in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by irishwitgirl
Hi everyone,

I have an interview for UEL next wednesday and I am wondering if any of you would have suggestions on a recent education topic or where I could get them from. What are the most popular issues that arrise often?

I understand the guardian is a good place to start.

Thank you in advance

Have a look on the bbc education website. The guardian is useful too yes.
Think about issues such as the National Curriculum changing.
Reply 2
yes I seen that its changing starting from septemeber 2014.

As far as I know they are making computers a compulsory subject within primary schools?

I'll research that one.

Thank you for your feedback
Reply 3
I have my interview next Wednesday at UEL also; I'm wondering whether the death of Nelson Mandela is going to be brought up in current education issues. This has really stumped me. Good Luck!
Original post by Kelseyannj
I'm wondering whether the death of Nelson Mandela is going to be brought up in current education issues.

Probably - his synthetic phonics programme was revolutionary.

Reply 5
My interviews next Wednesday too and this has completely stumped me.
Reply 6
Oh come on people, you claim you want to be teachers but haven't read widely about the topic of education?

Here's some stuff that's come up in the news in the last months alone, off the top of my head:

Failing Free Schools- see Al-Madinah and Discovery schools.
Teacher qualifications and training routes- is a PGCE necessary? Is training necessary?
PISA rankings- we're far from the best, but are we getting worse or are other countries getting better?
Curriculum changes and opt-outs- Gove's NC seems oddly prescriptive for some subjects (History in particular) but Academies and Free Schools can opt out of the curriculum, so what's the point?
Safeguarding and child protection- after the case of that creepy sod who ran off to France with a fifteen-year-old, and various Free Schools including the Al-Madinah and Discovery schools mentioned above not having DBS/CRB checks for their staff, should this be a higher priority?

Really though it should be something that you have found and that you are interested in. If you can't demonstrate an interest in the issues affecting education in this country, I'd question your desire to train as a teacher. It'd be like training as a doctor without giving a monkey's about the latest issues in medicine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by varcolac
Oh come on people, you claim you want to be teachers but haven't read widely about the topic of education?

Here's some stuff that's come up in the news in the last months alone, off the top of my head:

Failing Free Schools- see Al-Madinah and Discovery schools.
Teacher qualifications and training routes- is a PGCE necessary? Is training necessary?
PISA rankings- we're far from the best, but are we getting worse or are other countries getting better?
Curriculum changes and opt-outs- Gove's NC seems oddly prescriptive for some subjects (History in particular) but Academies and Free Schools can opt out of the curriculum, so what's the point?
Safeguarding and child protection- after the case of that creepy sod who ran off to France with a fifteen-year-old, and various Free Schools including the Al-Madinah and Discovery schools mentioned above not having DBS/CRB checks for their staff, should this be a higher priority?

Really though it should be something that you have found and that you are interested in. If you can't demonstrate an interest in the issues affecting education in this country, I'd question your desire to train as a teacher. It'd be like training as a doctor without giving a monkey's about the latest issues in medicine.

Can you take your politikal point scoring elsewhere please.
Reply 8
What political points am I attempting to score?

My opinions on the current Secretary of State for Education are of course my own, but the mismatch between a prescriptive curriculum on the one hand and freedom to set your own curriculum on the other is an educational issue that deserves attention. Whether one's opinion of Gove, Free Schools, PGCEs, Teach First, or Schools Direct is positive or negative, these are all current educational issues are all things that have been in the press very recently.

Apologies if I have offended anyone's political sensibilities, but reading the papers and paying half a mind to the world of education and the topics that arise in it is not a big ask to make for future educators.
Reply 9

I disagree. I think that any would-be teacher should be interested in 'how children learn', 'how teachers teach' and things like the national curriculum. But the wider political issues - though they obviously affect teachers - aren't necessarily going to interest keen teachers unless they have an interest in politics.

Personally I've never had much interest in politics. I understand how it affects almost every aspect of my life, I understand its importance and significance - but I can't just force myself to find the topic 'interesting', because I don't. Some people don't find philosophy interesting. Some people don't find psychology interesting. Well, I don't find politics interesting. Just because it governs every aspect of the many things I do find interesting, doesn't mean I automatically find it interesting.

I'm not arguing that people should be oblivious to the politics of education in the UK, or that it isn't important to be aware of politics. I'm just pointing out that - as with literally any other aspect of society - you can have an interest in the 'thing' itself without having an interest in the politics behind the thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
How dare any one attempt to bruise my confidence or anyone anyone else s for that matter just because a question has been asked.

I am not in training to be a teacher nor a DOCTOR or do have I any interest in politics - so this must mean I should question my career choice????

Ive enough sense and experience in life to know ignore negativity.

I originally started this thread to gain further insight to ed topics and ask for suggestions.after all isnt that what the forum is all about.

This thread is for positivity only!!
Ive had my interview so please for anyone that might have great ideas tips for advice for other teacher training hopefuls please share your knowledge and experience.

Thank you

Bravo. I was beginning to despair until you came along.
Reply 12
I just dont feel the need for anyone to give negaitive advice - its not necessary and can be very damaging to people.

Anyhow I spoke about the new curriculum that will be introduced next september. It seemed to work well for me so it might be a good idea for those who are looking for some suggestions. just mention what has changed, the pros and cons and maybe end with a happy medium view.

Best of Luck to everyone!! :smile:
Reply 13
Hi guys, I have my interview at Reading tomorrow. I thought of talking about changes from modular to linear assessments? Do you think it is relevant? Thank you!
Reply 14
Original post by Squoosh25
I disagree. I think that any would-be teacher should be interested in 'how children learn', 'how teachers teach' and things like the national curriculum. But the wider political issues - though they obviously affect teachers - aren't necessarily going to interest keen teachers unless they have an interest in politics.

Personally I've never had much interest in politics. I understand how it affects almost every aspect of my life, I understand its importance and significance - but I can't just force myself to find the topic 'interesting', because I don't. Some people don't find philosophy interesting. Some people don't find psychology interesting. Well, I don't find politics interesting. Just because it governs every aspect of the many things I do find interesting, doesn't mean I automatically find it interesting.

I'm not arguing that people should be oblivious to the politics of education in the UK, or that it isn't important to be aware of politics. I'm just pointing out that - as with literally any other aspect of society - you can have an interest in the 'thing' itself without having an interest in the politics behind the thing.

I sort of agree and disagree with both points. I agree that politics is not essential if you are becoming a teacher, and i do not believe it will come up on the interview or that you will be grilled on it :smile: but on the other hand there is something else. This is not so much politics but it is related.

For example the New curriculum being introduced in 2014. You might, and probably will as it is quiet an important thing, be asked about the new changes, but also I do not see any problems in you actually voicing your opinions about it. So you could say, well this is good but the governments proposal for this change might not be good because .... bla bla bla and give some of your opinions. I am not an expert, I might be wrong but I do think they will appreciate you thinking about it rather than just knowing the in information, EVEN IF they might disagree with what you are saying. Obviously, there is no point having a 25 min discussion on the politics of it, but you can mention your thoughts.
Reply 15
Hello I've got an I gives with uel on Monday. I was wondering what sort tasks they set you?
Also how long did I you speak about the current educational issue that you were interested in?
Reply 16
Dont worry the task is just to prioritise a set of statements. When I had my interview it was about tasks that needed to be completed and which of those you deemed to be most important. In my experience its about how you collaborate with your team, if you are willing to go against the team for what you feel is right and if you put the children first. The educational issues section is daunting but quite easy. The 1-1 interview is only 20 minutes and theres a lot to get though so just read up on one or 2 topics and know them well enough to ramble on for 5 minutes. Haha. Good Luck.
Reply 17
Thank you for replying ! So I guess the tasks set are about showing your ability to work in a team, whilst essentially putting the children first.
how long do they last and are you put with the same team for each task?
Reply 18
Hello I was wondering if any you could tell me what the English and maths tests will be like?
What level would you say they are?
I've applied for the primary PGCE with special needs inclusion
thanks
Reply 19
Hi I've got ,y interview tomorrow afternoon for a primary pace, we have to take in an object that we believe to stimulate children's learning and present it to the panel for 5 minutes. I'm thinking of taking in an orange or a tube of smarties both for the learning of senses in science, where they originate, geography, dividing orange/counting smarties numeracy. Or maybe take a fruit basket then able to link it to handas surprise story for literacy and the children use pi corbetts method of reselling the story and able to use the structure for their own piece of writing. Also link inning it to drama and ict with e new computing curriculum and learning the names of fruits in other languages for the mfl curriculum??.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I have the ideas but struggle to put them into words for my presentation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending