The Student Room Group

How has Cameron been sexist here?

MP Nadine Dorries has called Cameron sexist for calling her "frustrated" I don't get this I wouldn't even call it an offensive comment really either people often say that other people are frustrated about things.It sounds as if She thought He only called her that for being a woman but I don't see any evidence for it.I have looked on the internet and thats all it says He called her "frustrated"-I simply don't get it:angry:.Can someone explain:confused:
Reply 1
Do you have a cite? Context can matter.
Reply 2
Original post by gladders
Do you have a cite? Context can matter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9514140/Nadine-Dorries-attacks-sexist-David-Cameron.html

The link doesn't tell you anymore just how angry she is and the nasty things she's been calling the prime minister and the chancellor
Reply 3
I can't see why on the face of it, but someone may have a different opinion.

This is coming from a person who called Cameron and Osborne arrogant posh boys, so for her to suddenly get on a high horse about prejudice is a little rich.
Saying a woman is frustrated can be a patronising way to say she needs to get laid.

However, when Cameron said Dorries was frustrated it was fairly obvious he didn't mean anything by it. He was trying to say she was frustrated with something but stuttered slightly after saying 'frustrated' and MPs, being children, began laughing - but it was stupid of him to laugh at it, too, and then refuse to take her seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZsC0E2IiZc
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by betaglucowhat
Saying a woman is frustrated can be a patronising way to say she needs to get laid.

However, when Cameron said Dorries was frustrated it was fairly obvious he didn't mean anything by it. He was trying to say she was frustrated with something but stuttered slightly after saying 'frustrated' and MPs, being children, began laughing - but it was stupid of him to laugh at it, too, and then refuse to take her seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZsC0E2IiZc

Really?I have never heard of it so if a woman shouldn't have sex they be really unfrustrated.Is there a word for men that means the same.I think I am starting to get it now because the opposite is satisfied but there is a missing word sexually.Why are they assuming this has anything to do with sex/sexism?She is actually being sexist by implying a woman can only be frustrated sexually.
Original post by Dalek1099
Really?I have never heard of it so if a woman shouldn't have sex they be really unfrustrated.Is there a word for men that means the same.I think I am starting to get it now because the opposite is satisfied but there is a missing word sexually.Why are they assuming this has anything to do with sex/sexism?She is actually being sexist by implying a woman can only be frustrated sexually.

She's wasn't actually sexually frustrated and she's not implying that at all. It's very common for sexist men to dismiss women who are arguing against them by saying the woman is only complaining because she needs to get laid (usually in much more vulgar terms). The phrase is never really used to dismiss men in the same way. She's saying it had to do with sexism because the entire Commons laughed because it sounded like Cameron was saying Dorries just needed sex. As I said, I don't think that's how he meant it, but that's what it sounded like, why they all laughed, and why he got flustered and sat back down.

The history of where the attitude comes from is actually fairly hilarious/terrifying. The word hysteria was originally only applied to women (literally means 'suffering of the womb' or something similar - hence why hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus), and female hysteria was thought to be a medical condition that many women were diagnosed with right up to the last 50 years or so. There were many bizarre 'causes', including the 'female semen' becoming venomous in the womb if it wasn't regularly released through orgasms, and hysterical women exhibited many 'symptoms' including being argumentative and troublesome. The prescribed treatment was often induced orgasm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria
Original post by Dalek1099
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9514140/Nadine-Dorries-attacks-sexist-David-Cameron.html

The link doesn't tell you anymore just how angry she is and the nasty things she's been calling the prime minister and the chancellor

Publicity whore feigns faux outrage to get in the papers. Shock horror.
Reply 8
"George Osborne is a Machiavellian who manipulates people and practises dark arts"

Thankfully all the years at hogwarts will allow Nadine to successfully defeat lord Voldemort-in-hiding(Otherwise known as the Chancellor)
Just how out of touch to you have to be to think that Boris can appeal to ordinary people and that Cameron is a liberal? How do people like this even get elected?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending