The Student Room Group

Revision advice

Hello there, I'm here to see if anyone could help me with my maths revision time table. I'm currently working at a B grade level and would love to get it to an A grade by June, do I need to be revising every night? If not then how long? Also do you know the most productive way to study for maths? Thanks for reading this and any advice would be great
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
When I did maths at GCSE I just continuously went over past papers which seemed to work for me. If there was any particular area I was weak at I would just go over and over this.
I think you should revise as much as you are comfortable with. You don't want to over do it, but I guess revising for a few hours a night isn't so bad. You have to manage it with the rest of your revision too so you don't neglect another subject. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by chloelg
When I did maths at GCSE I just continuously went over past papers which seemed to work for me. If there was any particular area I was weak at I would just go over and over this.
I think you should revise as much as you are comfortable with. You don't want to over do it, but I guess revising for a few hours a night isn't so bad. You have to manage it with the rest of your revision too so you don't neglect another subject. Good luck!

Thank you :smile: what grade did you come out with?
Reply 3
Original post by Andre98
Hello there, I'm here to see if anyone could help me with my maths revision time table. I'm currently working at a B grade level and would love to get it to an A grade by June, do I need to be revising every night? If not then how long? Also do you know the most productive way to study for maths? Thanks for reading this and any advice would be great

I would advise going over past papers, i usually did a few past paper questions every week and my teacher had given us past papers from right back to 1990. I think practice makes perfect, but also go over your teachers notes and work done in class. Always make sure to go over and try to understand questions that you got wrong for homework or in tests and ask your teacher for advice if you don't understand something. I got an A* in my GCSE Maths even though I wasn't always receiving results at this standard. Exam Technique is very important ! Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emmalav
I would advise going over past papers, i usually did a few past paper questions every week and my teacher had given us past papers from right back to 1990. I think practice makes perfect, but also go over your teachers notes and work done in class. Always make sure to go over and try to understand questions that you got wrong for homework or in tests and ask your teacher for advice if you don't understand something. I got an A* in my GCSE Maths even though I wasn't always receiving results at this standard. Exam Technique is very important ! Good Luck! :smile:

Thank you very much!!:biggrin:
Original post by Andre98

I remember in my mocks I came out with a B (this was in Jan/Feb of this year) and in May I did my exam and came out with an A* ! It is possible, honestly. I never considered myself good at maths!

As mentioned above, I agree with the bit about past papers. They are a Godsend when it comes to revision. Use your notes to help you do some questions, or give them a go and look at the mark scheme. Towards the end of my revision, I must have had about 50 past papers in my folder.

I would also recommend getting a maths tutor. I had one in the last few months before my exam, and a different way of explaining things helped me a lot. It might be that you don't understand how your teacher explains things, or teaches in general. In which case, it will be highly beneficial for you to get that different way of doing things.

Good luck! :redface:
Original post by Andre98

:wavey: I was on another thread similar to this and posted this...

You could:
Use separate books for each subject, different colors for each book so It'll be easier for you
and using the same colors you use for each subject book for revision cards/notes or something
Write neatly and clearly, a different color to the one you're writing in for keywords or use highlighters or underline them whatever works best for you

Organize revision timetables, use tsr to help you and create one

Every now and then look back at notes to help it stick in your head

Make sure before you leave school, you've got all your work from lesson and if you've missed any, catch up ASAP
Ask teachers if you're unsure about anything or ask someone at least who knows what to do

Find out which way you learn best like if you're a visual learner or auditory learner, listen to clips of your revision work, tell someone to read it out to you or tell them to ask you questions.
For visual use colors like said before make mind maps and stuff that makes it easier to absorb info

Ask yourself questions and answer them each day after all lessons to see if you've remembered your stuff or you could try writing out what you know and from there work out what you need to know

Get enough sleep so you're ready for work, keep healthy and take breaks but try and stop doing things that will distract you from your work too much

I don't know if it's all relevant but it could be useful :smile:

I think it depends on yourself to choose how long you want to do your revision, not too much that you would stress yourself out so you can take breaks and make sure that you have enough time for the other subjects you'd like to revise for. Is maths your weakest subject, something you'd like to improve more on? Practice with past papers, look back at notes and try the questions you did in class. I have a maths watch cd which I use for revision. It does one minute maths and explains a topic in a minute and has a questions on there that I try, very useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest