The Student Room Group

Mature student advice

Hi, I am a new poster and just wondered if anyone had any advice.
I attended uni 10 years ago but dropped out in my second year due to terrible personal circumstances at the time.
I have since had a family, worked, volunteered and have studied with the Open University (just about to complete my degree, on track for a 2:1). I'd like to apply through UCAS for a PGCE at some point, I have lots of work experience in teaching and it's what I'd love to do.
I obviously want to be honest and explain that I previously left uni, but also that I have done lots since including a degree. It is a decision that I do regret although it couldn't be helped, and I feel I have made every effort to get back to where I want to be, but I am worried it will still make me look bad. One of the uni's on my list is the one I dropped out of, does anyone know how this will affect my chances of going back to that one or any others? Thanks in advance :-)
Reply 1
If you had relevant extenuating circumstances at the time, no uni will hold it against you. Even if your personal circumstances are unorthodox for any reason, the fact that ten years have passed and you've built a different life for yourself, no uni will think you're the same person who dropped out a decade ago. I wouldn't worry about it at all. So long as you're honest and you focus on the positives: all that you've done and experiences, what you've gained in the interim, and how you've brought your life back on track despite the odds - you will be appreciated by any university.
There is a mature students forum so you may want to ask some questions there. In your PS just focus on positive things that are relevant to the degree you want to apply for. As the previous poster said you're in a very different position from when you dropped out a decade ago so the uni won't hold it against you.
Reply 3
Original post by loolalou
Hi, I am a new poster and just wondered if anyone had any advice.
I attended uni 10 years ago but dropped out in my second year due to terrible personal circumstances at the time.
I have since had a family, worked, volunteered and have studied with the Open University (just about to complete my degree, on track for a 2:1). I'd like to apply through UCAS for a PGCE at some point, I have lots of work experience in teaching and it's what I'd love to do.
I obviously want to be honest and explain that I previously left uni, but also that I have done lots since including a degree. It is a decision that I do regret although it couldn't be helped, and I feel I have made every effort to get back to where I want to be, but I am worried it will still make me look bad. One of the uni's on my list is the one I dropped out of, does anyone know how this will affect my chances of going back to that one or any others? Thanks in advance :-)

If you get a 2.1 - consider teachfirst.

http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending