The Student Room Group

Physical chemistry books for people who don't get physical chemistry

So I've just finished my first term of university and really hate it, I'm going to go back in January and give it another to though.
Part of the problem is that I really reaaaally can't do physical chemistry. I don't feel it's taught very well and whilst everyone says Atkins is the best book, I have it and I don't find it very helpful.

does anyone know of any other physical chemistry textbooks for undergrads that explain things really clearly (as I didn't do physics at a level) so i might have a better chance of following?

thankyou!!!
Reply 1
Original post by anna48
does anyone know of any other physical chemistry textbooks for undergrads that explain things really clearly (as I didn't do physics at a level) so i might have a better chance of following?

I also didn't find the big Atkins useful... it's been sitting on my shelves for the last three years. I mostly made do with the lecture notes supplemented by primers. Multiple people have good things to say about Chem Cubed (Chemistry3), so that might be something to look into; I don't know if your college has a copy. You might also want to take a look at Elements of Physical Chemistry. It's by Atkins but I've been led to believe it's easier going than his Physical Chemistry. And there are definitely copies in the RSL, even if your college doesn't have any.

The phys chem lectures do not get better at the start of Hilary the thermodynamics lectures are the best phys chem lectures you will get this year, and the upcoming electrochemistry course is just about the worst set you will have in your entire degree, in phys chem or otherwise....
Reply 2
As someone who can't retain much from textbooks, I find that a youtube channel called TMP Chem is really good at explaining physical chemistry concepts. I also found videos to be more helpful than textbooks, you may be the same? Also I find Atkins (like a lot of the other standard textbooks (Clayden)) aren't suitable for first year - they're a bit too advanced, Chemistry3 I would say is definitely more appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest