The Student Room Group

English MA at UCL

Hey guys,

So I'm super-interested in applying to UCL for their MA in English, but I'm an international student (English is my first language though) and don't really understand how the UCL grading system works (what is this 2:1 stuff and what is a module exactly?)

Also, it seems like all the masters courses are taught by instructors who don't have PhDs, why?

Is anyone in this program right now or has recently completed it? What's it like? Could use some recommendations. Anything would help!

Thanks guys!
Reply 1
Original post by awakenedsoul
what is this 2:1 stuff

In the UK, the final results for undergraduate degrees are graded as (% thresholds quoted are typical but not used by all UK unis):

First - 70%+
2:1 - 60-69.9%
2:2 - 50-59.9%
Third - 40-49.9%
Fail - Below 40%

As an international student you're probably looking at something like a GPA instead. Check UCL entry requirements for your country here:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international

what is a module exactly?

A taught Masters is delivered as a series of individual short courses - "modules" - which all contribute to an understanding of the overall Masters subject. You will usually have taught modules for two terms, with the last third of the Masters year dedicated to the dissertation, which will be an independent research project which you will specify with the assistance of your supervisor.

Also, it seems like all the masters courses are taught by instructors who don't have PhDs, why?

It's getting less common in the UK, as these days a PhD is seen as an entry-level requirement for university teaching/research. However, a PhD is no guarantee that someone will be an effective tutor or lecturer. I've met some heavily-qualified university staff who couldn't teach a fish to swim. By the same token, one of the best communicators of facts and practice I've had at uni level, had nothing more than an undergrad degree and many years of professional experience in my field. The fact that someone is employed by UCL to teach, will probably mean that they're good at their job.

Do you mean because their title is 'lecturer'? In the UK, Lecturer is more-or-less equivalent to Assistant Professor in the US, it's not a lower ranking position. In English dep'ts some (most) people hired on the back of their creative work (poets, novelists, screenwriters etc) don't have PhDs. Otherwise, it's very much the norm nowadays for instructors to have PhDs.
Reply 3
Hey guys,

So I'm super-interested in applying to UCL for their MA in English, but I'm an international student (English is my first language though) and don't really understand how the UCL grading system works (what is this 2:1 stuff and what is a module exactly?)

Is anyone in this program right now or has recently completed it? What's it like? Could use some recommendations. Anything would help!

Thanks guys!

Hi,
Which MA are you applying for? I'm currently doing the English Linguistics MA in the department.
Whilst the occasional PhD student will teaching some classes, most staff have a Phd are at teaching fellow, lecturer or professor level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending