The Student Room Group

Is 21 too old to go to Uni? So insecure...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I personally see everyone's pretty much as permanently 21 at uni, as from the ages 18-25 ish you don't exactly change much physically anyway. no one will notice, or if they do no one will care. There's a 32 year old man with a kid in my course (he's a 1st year like me) and no one cares, he's treated the same and no one thinks less of him (if that's what you're worried about) he obviously doesn't go out as much as some people (having more responsibility that comes with having a child) but people are mature about all of that. we're doing the same course and we're in the same boat in terms of that, he does the work, he isn't a prick so what else matters?
Reply 21
Definitely not. I'm 18, my flatmate is 23. It makes no difference at all. Go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to be 19 when I go to uni (well I'll be 18, but I turn 19 in October), so 21 is absolutely nothing! Plus, I know many people who get along with older people, not that you're much older. Plus if you're a girl, some guys prefer 'older' girls :perv:
Reply 23
I'll be nearly 24 when I start Uni (hopefully) in September. I'm doing an access course this year, so everyone is over 19 and there's plenty of people in their 30/40's on my course.

My friends who have been to Uni say there were quite a few older students in halls/their lectures etc so you won't stick out at all!
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
I went to school in Scotland and started a History degree at a good uni early at 17, but I got horrible grades consistently due to severe family problems/money worries and having to catch up to all the other students age and maturity wise. I really tried to hang in there, but I decided to drop out last summer as I wanted a fresh start and I absolutely hated the subject I was doing and the uni I was at (part of the reason why I went early was to get away from my abusive family). I would have been in my final year this year.

I'm currently on a gap year/doing more A-levels to get my grades up and applying to university this autumn for entry next year. I'm doing fairly well with my studies and am dealing with my family problems, so am confident I'll get into at least one uni. I am also working and really doing well at my job, so will be able to finance my studies to make up for the years of Student Finance I won't get.

If I do so, though, I'll be 21 when I start. (I turn 20 in a few months' time). I've been there and done that with starting uni early and it was entirely my decision to leave the course I did, but I can't help feeling insecure and like I won't fit in now that I'll be older.

It's a long way away, and I really want to do it, but I'm worried about even the smallest things like not being able to date the 18/19 year old fresher guys cause I'll be older.

Advice? Do mature students stand out a ton at uni? :s-smilie:

there are a lot of Erasmus students who live in my halls and are all older (20-22) and they don't stand out at all! It's never too late to go, 21 certainly isn't too old :smile:
Reply 25
Noone cares if you're older. It makes a big difference if you're under 16, but above that the difference is negligible.
21 is not too old! There is a guy living in my accommodation who is in his mid 40s and a woman on my course who is in her 50s. You'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 27
Not at all. I was 26 when I started and theres people older than me on my degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I also started uni earlier and I left because I realised that I wouldn't get anywhere in life with the way I was going. Where I was at uni before there were several people aged 20-21 in first year with me due to gap years / saving money / second time round and nobody thought anything on it. I am now 20 and I turn 21 in June so I will also be 21 when I start uni and the only thing I can think of where my age could be weird, is, yes, dating an 18 year old fresher guy, but I'm hoping there will be plenty of opportunity to meet a wider age range in societies etc. The other time where it might potentially be awkward is when you (we) will be meeting people for the first time and age comes up but idk. good luck :smile:
Reply 29
I'll be 4 months from 21 when I start. I'm pretty sure it's more common than you think. I also dropped out of a history degree in Scotland and am reapplying, looks like we have something in common :P
Reply 30
You're never too old for University. I live in a house of third years, and three girls are 23, as they started older. I have friends in my course who are in their 30s and 40s. One of our third year course rep is in her early thirties with five children and about to graduate in a few months. Literally no one bats an eye at age.
Reply 31
of COURSE you're not too old, 18-21 is really only a three year age gap, which is really barely an age gap.
I have two good friends already at uni, and in their freshers year they BOTH met someone who was 21 at the time - the older of my two friends has been with him for nearing on two years now, so I really wouldn't think you're too old for that at all. So go, do something you enjoy - have fun!

Hope it works out okay!
Reply 32
My Dad is 35 and still doing his PhD :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I’m starting my second year at uni and I’ve met all kinds of people of different ages!! A friend I made who lived in my halls for the first year is 32 years old! And he loves uni, he has a lot of friends and he’s even in an American football society. It’s like he’s just one of us teenagers. Honestly at uni age doesn’t matter at all!!
Original post by Anonymous
I went to school in Scotland and started a History degree at a good uni early at 17, but I got horrible grades consistently due to severe family problems/money worries and having to catch up to all the other students age and maturity wise. I really tried to hang in there, but I decided to drop out last summer as I wanted a fresh start and I absolutely hated the subject I was doing and the uni I was at (part of the reason why I went early was to get away from my abusive family). I would have been in my final year this year.

I'm currently on a gap year/doing more A-levels to get my grades up and applying to university this autumn for entry next year. I'm doing fairly well with my studies and am dealing with my family problems, so am confident I'll get into at least one uni. I am also working and really doing well at my job, so will be able to finance my studies to make up for the years of Student Finance I won't get.

If I do so, though, I'll be 21 when I start. (I turn 20 in a few months' time). I've been there and done that with starting uni early and it was entirely my decision to leave the course I did, but I can't help feeling insecure and like I won't fit in now that I'll be older.

It's a long way away, and I really want to do it, but I'm worried about even the smallest things like not being able to date the 18/19 year old fresher guys cause I'll be older.

Advice? Do mature students stand out a ton at uni? :s-smilie:

Hey buddy, I'm 46 and starting my 1st degree in 2018. 21? ROFL, I WISH I WAS 21 and starting a degree. You're only a puppy and what's more you will do well because you have more time to do it. About 40% of uni students are mature, i.e: older than 19.
Original post by random10
I’m starting my second year at uni and I’ve met all kinds of people of different ages!! A friend I made who lived in my halls for the first year is 32 years old! And he loves uni, he has a lot of friends and he’s even in an American football society. It’s like he’s just one of us teenagers. Honestly at uni age doesn’t matter at all!!

Original post by Rhodie72
Hey buddy, I'm 46 and starting my 1st degree in 2018. 21? ROFL, I WISH I WAS 21 and starting a degree. You're only a puppy and what's more you will do well because you have more time to do it. About 40% of uni students are mature, i.e: older than 19.

I'm sure OP would've appreciated the encouraging words but this thread is four years old. How did you find it?
Original post by Sataris
I'm sure OP would've appreciated the encouraging words but this thread is four years old. How did you find it?

Oh I didn’t see that it was 4 years old hahhahaha lmao
it came up on the trending list!
Original post by Sataris

oh my hat... ffs. rofl.
my best friend/flatmate was 21 at uni in first year when i was 18! literally age was never a problem and wont be mentioned at all - go for it!
No its not too late, 21 is young anyway.

People go at different ages, some go at 23, some at 25. Lots of people start uni in their mid-late 20s, 30s, 40s etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending