The Student Room Group

Is 21 too old to go to Uni? So insecure...

I went to school in Scotland and started a History degree at a good uni early at 17, but I got horrible grades consistently due to severe family problems/money worries and having to catch up to all the other students age and maturity wise. I really tried to hang in there, but I decided to drop out last summer as I wanted a fresh start and I absolutely hated the subject I was doing and the uni I was at (part of the reason why I went early was to get away from my abusive family). I would have been in my final year this year.

I'm currently on a gap year/doing more A-levels to get my grades up and applying to university this autumn for entry next year. I'm doing fairly well with my studies and am dealing with my family problems, so am confident I'll get into at least one uni. I am also working and really doing well at my job, so will be able to finance my studies to make up for the years of Student Finance I won't get.

If I do so, though, I'll be 21 when I start. (I turn 20 in a few months' time). I've been there and done that with starting uni early and it was entirely my decision to leave the course I did, but I can't help feeling insecure and like I won't fit in now that I'll be older.

It's a long way away, and I really want to do it, but I'm worried about even the smallest things like not being able to date the 18/19 year old fresher guys cause I'll be older.

Advice? Do mature students stand out a ton at uni? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

At 21 you won't even be a mature student. I know loads of people who started uni at about that age and they don't stick out at all! I really wouldn't worry about it :smile:
Reply 2
dont worry girl u can start uni whenever you feel ready and dont worry about being 21 thats not even old! ppl go uni when ever they feel ready. at my interview there were 30 yr olds and considering many finish uni at 21 at earliest, there will be your age. judt grab your chance and do your best. i hope your family problems sort out soon and good luck for the future :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Its never too late to go uni. My mums friend is in her 40s and she's started this year. I wish you the best of luck! :biggrin:
No. Go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Not too late, two of my uni friends were 21 when they started! No one even cares how old you are! Many people would have had a gap year or two anyway so will be the same age :smile: Go for it!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

It's a long way away, and I really want to do it, but I'm worried about even the smallest things like not being able to date the 18/19 year old fresher guys cause I'll be older.

At 21 you're hardly likely to stand out, even those older didn't. Good luck!
21, peesh it's hardly a huge difference from 18. Who would know? Unless you bring it up or paint it on your forehead. Mingling with students shouldn't be a problem for you.

I have many friends at university who are of varying ages. A friend I met at uni started her undergrad course this year and she's 60. She has overcome the issue of her age and is experiencing something worth experiencing. As a result she's having a great time here.

Stop wasting your time worrying about a non-issue.
(edited 10 years ago)
Nobody will notice, or care if they do. 21 is a tiny hop from 18
I was 21 in my first year and let me assure you, it makes **** all difference.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I went to school in Scotland and started a History degree at a good uni early at 17, but I got horrible grades consistently due to severe family problems/money worries and having to catch up to all the other students age and maturity wise. I really tried to hang in there, but I decided to drop out last summer as I wanted a fresh start and I absolutely hated the subject I was doing and the uni I was at (part of the reason why I went early was to get away from my abusive family). I would have been in my final year this year.

I'm currently on a gap year/doing more A-levels to get my grades up and applying to university this autumn for entry next year. I'm doing fairly well with my studies and am dealing with my family problems, so am confident I'll get into at least one uni. I am also working and really doing well at my job, so will be able to finance my studies to make up for the years of Student Finance I won't get.

If I do so, though, I'll be 21 when I start. (I turn 20 in a few months' time). I've been there and done that with starting uni early and it was entirely my decision to leave the course I did, but I can't help feeling insecure and like I won't fit in now that I'll be older.

One of my closest friends at university started first year when she was 21 and it hasn't disadvantaged her in any way. In fact I was really grateful for her maturity as I'd always stuck out in my year group for being more mature.

There will certainly be people starting at the same time who, even if they don't match in age, will probably match in maturity. And if you're uncomfortable dating 18/19 year old students then look to the upper year groups, and postgrads.

I know a lot of people who were 21 by 2nd year, I will be among them (mostly students who took a year out), and it means that the age gap won't be so high between yourself and your fellow first years. Its difficult to tell how old most people are in the 18-25 range anyway, as a mature student you'd only stick out if you were a good 10 years older I reckon.
DOOO IIIIIT!
I've just started first year and I'm 22. Don't stand out at all I don't even realise that I'm older. BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE
Reply 13
I went to Uni aged 27 and many in my class were 30+ some 40+ so dont worry about it at all.
There will be a nice mix of people to be friends with and date if you want to as well.
No, you are never too old to go to uni. I have uni friends of different ages, and we all get on. I don't think it's the age, it's about the kind of people you hang around with. Expect for my uni and home friends, there are some people close to my age that I don't relate to - I am 21 years old and I started university when I was 19. Most people I live with/met in halls were between 18 and 21. But then again, I have always had to grow up fast, and be a bit more mature than expected.

Out of interest, what course are you applying for?

I hope things are better for you. :hugs: PM me if you ever wanna talk, I can advise you if you want. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
No, your not too old, I'm 23 and went back to college to do a HND course and will eventually go to uni to do my PGCE unless I can find another way to do it and I'll be 25/26 when it comes to doing that.. I'm glad I left it till now to continue my studies (I worked for 3 years after getting level 3) defiantly go for it, if that's what you want to do :smile: good luck! :smile:
21 isn't too old at all.

The number of mature students at my university (so 21+ at the beginning of their degree) is 44% or something, so it's actually quite normal.

I have so many friends who are several years older than me at university and I never even realised. One of my friends in second year was 23 and I'd just assumed she was my age. If you're only 3 years older than the other people in your year, they probably won't even notice and if they do, they probably won't care. Remember that there will be plenty of other people who have taken gap years etc so are also a little older than everyone else but don't count as mature students.

I started my degree at 18, straight from school and with the number of mature students on my course and people who had taken gap years, I was actually one of the youngest there which surprised me but didn't bother me.

You won't stand out, people won't notice your age. People who know your age won't care. Go to university and have fun :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm going to swim against the current and contradict people a little - as someone who took several years off and so finished uni age 26 I found that I did have problems, not with being older exactly but with maturity levels. I went back into halls for one year, and had serious problems with some immature flatmates who got annoyed with me for various reasons, including the fact that I didn't go out clubbing/drinking with them.

However this was only with some frankly childish people, and the age difference was a fair bit bigger than what you'll experience. Most likely you won't have the problems I encountered, but I thought I'd give my side of things just to balance it out a bit. :smile:
not at all! my brother is 21 and is in his first year at UWE. He lives in halls with other first years and he's having a great time. Most people probably wont even notice you are older-and they certainly wont care. It's never too late to go, don't worry!

At my college there are people in their 30s and 40s amongst us 16-18 year olds, so it doesn't matter :-)
Reply 19
The older ones in a year group will be 19 by freshers week, those who took a gap year will be 20, so you'll be mere months older. No biggie, nobody will even notice, and there will be plenty of 23/24 year olds starting too.

Dont give it another thought!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending